September 7th, 2012
· Thoth no longer fetches additional (or any) headers via the XHDR command, only the XOVER command is used. This means that all header fetching is done in one step, none is done during filtering, and filtering can only be done on XOVER headers. With most news server it hasn't been possible to fetch non-XOVER headers for many years anyway. The Thoth user Guide talks about this, and non-XOVER headers have been segregated in the filter header popup menu for a long time to indicate this fact.
· The "Thoth Transfers" file in Thoth 1.9.0 is in a newer format than that used by 1.8.x. The change was necessary to support NZB files. Thoth 1.9.0 can read and use older format "Thoth Transfers" files, but when it saved the file it'll be in the new format that can't be read by Thoth 1.8.x. This is only an issue if you have saved items in the Queued Transfers List in Thoth 1.9.0 and you try to use the same news server setup files with Thoth 1.8.x.
· Thoth 1.9.0 no longer supports the old "Mark Kept" feature. I don't know if anyone ever used this. So the "Thoth Article Cache," "Thoth Header Cache," and "Thoth Parts Cache" files aren't used, and will show as blank icons (Thoth 1.9.0 doesn't include icon or file type support for these files). The files can be deleted if/when you switch to using Thoth 1.9.0 exclusively.
· Thoth now supports longer usernames/password for servers. This information is stored separately from the old values (and is automatically set when you first run Thoth 1.9.0) So if you change any of this information in Thoth 1.9.0, then try to use the same setting file in Thoth 1.8.x, you'll probably see the old username/password values.
· When updating to Thoth 1.9.0, any saved, custom article window column widths will be lost.
· If you add divider items to a subscribed group list, then use the subscribed group list in Thoth 1.8.x, the dividers will be removed, and you'll see the dividers listed as deleted groups not on the news server.
· Thoth 1.9.0 supports using TLS/SSL for connecting to news servers, older Thoth versions do not, and usually the news server name (address) in “News Server Settings” is different when using SSL. So a news server setup that has been modified to use SSL under Thoth 1.9.0 will probably require modification (resetting the server name in “News Server Settings”) to be used with Thoth 1.8.5 and earlier.
October 21st, 2010
· Building article threads and sorting article list windows is now faster (fixed in October 18, 2020 released labeled Version 1.8.5 (20101018-0) in “Get Info” dialog).
· In some cases network speed per connection may be improved.
· Updated all documentation to reflect new appgarth.com website, etc.
April 10th, 2008
· The main change is a work-around for an issue with Giganews and similar news servers that return a 503 error code when an attempt is made to fetch an unavailable header type via the XHDR command.