April 6th, 2013
· 95% confidence intervals now added to ANOVA and t-tests. Also right justified numbers in associated output.
· Can now sort by category labels in clustered bar charts, line charts, area charts and box plots.
· Area charts can also be sorted ascending or descending by count/mean/sum.
· The series and category are now displayed in tooltips e.g. Italy, 20-29 for clustered bar charts, multi-series line charts, and box plots.
· This is especially helpful when there are lots of categories and/or series.
· Improved statistics output footnotes. Borders on bar-type charts are now optional.
· This can be useful when bars are very short.
· Chi square clustered bar charts can cope with higher default limits for number of values. Importing field names with more than 90 characters prohibited at the point of import rather than causing problems later.
· The group by max number of values is now controlled by a single my_globals setting (making it easier to override).
· The default settings for some remaining max values have been increased.
January 28th, 2013
· Minor GUI bugs on start screen fixed.
January 10th, 2013
· Adding sum as an option for charting e.g. a line chart showing total income per month by product.
· Matplotlib scatterplots now have optimal min and max settings calculated for their x-axis.
· Added footnote to Wilcoxon output explaining that different statistics packages may report the test statistic differently.
· Misc fixes to chart layout including left margin offset.
· Easier to add new variable definition files from within dialog for choosing them.
· Modified recode column labels and help content to reduce confusion about which columns to enter range information into.
November 5th, 2012
· Added Mode as an option to Row Stats report tables.
· Line and area charts can show major labels only as an option.
· Pie charts now have option of displaying count and percentage (not just in the tooltips as at present).
· Histograms use consistent bins when charted by a second variable.
· Better placement of y-axis title when wide labels.
· Only show message now if a problem.
· When trying to export report, SOFA checks for expected subfolder as well (otherwise dojo fails for any charts and export fails).
· SOFA prevents attempt to export report if no report file (yet).
· No longer displays View or Export Report buttons on Projects dialog.
September 20th, 2012
· Restored standard deviation option to row stats report tables.
· Fixed bug which meant row % was appended multiple times to config col dialog (until session closed).
· Restored PostgreSQL functionality by fixing faulty psycopg import statement.
August 29th, 2012
· Fixed nasty bug breaking demo report tables. A casualty of the changes to the independent display of titles from report tables in 1.2.0 so wide titles didn't mean wide table cells.
· Fixed bug with display of percent symbols in report tables.
· Fixed bug with Data List reports - wouldn't update display after changing sort order of a variable. Sort by value now works properly in Data List reports.
· Can now handle excessively long values being used as categories in report tables or charts etc.
· Checks are also now made for excessively long category variable values. If encoding problems try to use the field encoding e.g. iso-8859-1.
August 18th, 2012
· Now able to export output as PDFs and images (if export_output plug-in installed - Windows and Linux only so far)
· Scatterplots can have more than one series e.g. different coloured male and female dots on same plot.
· Can now sort by individual columns within a data display report table.
· Report tables of summary statistics e.g. mean, median, sd, now show the measures across columns instead of down rows. Easier to compare results and notice difference. The demonstration tables displayed when configuring report tables now use real data instead of random data if the data source is small enough to make updating fast. The "Show Results" button becomes "Add to Report" when report tables are able to use live data for examples (and the "Add to report checkbox" is hidden).
· Add to report now defaults to False and remembers the last setting throughout the user session. Repositioned some standard GUI items to increase logic of placement and speed of use. Added IQR (Inter-Quartile Range) to the Row Stats Table.
· Can now do a boxplots of a single variable (not requiring a variable for it to be By).
· Now save and show cropped matplotlib charts. Scatterplots are a better size. Excel importing copes with faulty dates better and tells the user where the problem is.
· Filter dialog now checks if user wants to apply a filter when the settings haven't been changed.
· Prevents inadvertent filtering to null.
· Better font sizes in auxiliary clustered bar charts (matplotlib). GUIs no longer update if the user selects the same database as is already selected.
July 6th, 2012
· Fixed bug encountered when importing spaces in fields.
· Fixed bug when missing values in some fields in a boxplot with multiple series.
· Table design changes now cope with pre-existing sofa id index and demo values no longer updated on exit (inadvertently via on_show event).
· Fixed bug in tooltip display of averages in general charts - no longer rounds to lower integer.
· Charts of averages don't show percentages in tooltips.
· All matplotlib histograms, including those in stats display such as for one-way ANOVAs, now cope with sigma of 0.
· Fixed bug calculating percentages where all values in a chart (of a series) are 0
· Fixed bug in showing rotate when changing to clustered bar charts.
· Fixed bug in ods importing where display of sample values didn't include repeated cells (only showing the first value).
· SQLite now correctly identifies more types as numeric.
June 22nd, 2012
· Fixed ODS import bugs when encountering fields formatted as fractions, boolean, percentage etc.
· Fixed bug stopping linked images external to the html e.g. generated by matplotlib, from displaying in the internal GUI if the report path was different from the default report path. Fixed bug when running scatterplots and histograms with chart by (because of use of dd object which cannot be used headless).
· Fixed bug in charts dialog where second variable drop down would sometimes be overly restrictive when doing a chart of average values.
· Fixed bug where old pycs can interfere with Windows upgrades.
May 28th, 2012
· Charts now have the option of rotated (vertical) x-axis labels. This can be useful for longer labels.
· Scatterplots now focus on the data better by starting axes just below the minimum x and y values of the data unless the value is close enough to 0 to make it worth using 0 anyway.
· Numeric values are right justified in data tables.
· Kurtosis values in the normality test include the Fischer adjustment (subtracting 3).
· Duplicated field names in imports are given unique suffixes and allowed (now that they are unique). Excel importing now handles times without dates.
· More date formats are accepted when importing data. Better guidance on data preparation before importing data.
· More robust handling of variable definition files if corrupted. Note: if upgrading on Linux, the two user folders (sofastats and sofastats_recovery) may be shifted from inside your home folder to a better location e.g. "/home/username/Documents" if free desktop standards are supported. After upgrading you may wish to manually replace the contents of the new folders with the contents of the old ones.
February 24th, 2012
· Fixed bug where getting observed values e.g. for chi square test, fell over when one field in pair had missing values while the other didn't.
· Fixed bug in calculation of upper and lower whiskers in box plots.
· Single bar charts don't show a bar title anymore - only needed if multichart.
· Fixed bug which only changed variable definitions when the extra settings dialog was closed with OK and didn't ever set it otherwise e.g. when changing the selected project. Now copes with newer versions of matplotlib on Linux.
· No longer stores empty strings as variable labels if user doesn't enter a label.
December 19th, 2011
· Better support for non-English translations.
November 24th, 2011
· SOFA now copes with non_English installations much better. SOFA on Windows can still generate messages in the non-console version (before the GUI appears) without a risk of an error.
October 10th, 2011
· More sophisticated extraction of cell values from ODS spreadsheets. Now copes with formatted content of cells and other complex cases by handling subelements in the XML.
August 22nd, 2011
· Fixed bug when trying to display feedback on resizing operation on data table from dialogs other than data select.
· Fixed regression when running data list report tables.
July 28th, 2011
· Fixed bug in chi square when no labels set for numerical variables. Needed to convert value to unicode before using as label.
· Fixed bug when importing datetimes with 'T' as the separator between date and time.
· Fixed bug caused by SQLite queries sometimes returning strings instead of floats when extracting REAL (numeric) data. Fixed it where it affected Row Stats medians and std devs; and statistical tests.
· Fixed bug when uwhisker and lwhisker not set. Also copes better when no boxes are displayed in boxplot.
· Handling Python 2.6 unicode keyword bug.
· Replaced pprint.pformat where it messes up unicode e.g. user paths with non-ascii characters. Misc other changes to fix internal issues.
· Fixed bug allowing None to be displayed in Val A and Val B drop-downs under Group by e.g. ANOVA.
· Config dialog in Report Tables widened slightly when needed to display title.
· Fixed bug when decimal entered into value label list for an integer field.
· Fixed CSV import bug when trying to guess whether a header or not.
June 4th, 2011
· Fixed bug preventing comma being used as decimal separator when importing data.
· Fixed bug when making line charts with averages - shows smoothed data line and trend line appropriately. Also only enables or disables checkboxes for smoothed data line and trend line where appropriate.
· Better handling of comtype errors.
· Fixed bug in histogram code when no default limits supplied.
May 16th, 2011
· Fixed bug occurring when user selects a google docs spreadsheet and clicks on download after manually selecting a spreadsheet but without manually selecting a worksheet.
· Fixed bug with report tables which occurred sometimes when a field value was the same as a field name.
· Fixed bug when pie chart label has new line characters in it.
· Adjusted y-axis placement on bar charts so not truncated in some cases.
· When importing ODS data without a header, and responding to a data type inconsistency with Cancel, the progress bar is now reset to the start.
· Fixed bug when saving projects in Windows with different name (albeit the same name if case insensitive). Would not appear in projselect list and would be unable to reopen projselect.
April 13th, 2011
· Added a new "Get Started" button to main form and emphasised the most important buttons.
· When importing csv files, SOFA now sets the default for 'Has header row?' according to a review of the sample contents.
· On exiting for the first time, users get option of giving brief feedback.
· Added feedback link to main form.
· Exit control added to all forms where appropriate.
March 19th, 2011
· Bug fix when importing from ODS any data which could potentially be a year e.g. 2631.
· Report quality histograms no longer leave out values falling right on the upper limit.
· Two-tailed vs one-tailed corrections in output display.
· Fixed problem with table names (esp safetblname) surviving test for SQLite validity and breaking future tests.
February 9th, 2011
· Fixed bug when reporting on datetime fields as rows or columns in report tables in MySQL, PostgreSQL, Access, and SQL Server.
· Fixed minor bug which meant MySQL importing failed on Macs because it didn't recognise the platform.
February 3rd, 2011
· Fixed bug preventing single reports from having multiple styles.
· Fixed error in O'Brien's homogeneity of variance test.
January 24th, 2011
· Fixed numerous recode bugs - mostly to do with application of recoded value labels.
· Fixed bug when making a new table with an existing name. Now stays open to give user choice as to what to do next e.g. change table name.
· Fixed misc bugs when deleting/adding/renaming tables while a database other than the default SOFA database is selected.
· Fixed bug running frequency table using MySQL where the category items are long integers.
· Fixed bug where Data List report selected and then the database is changed.
December 23rd, 2010
· All lines in multi-line text cells are now imported from ods spreasdsheets correctly.
· Errors when getting project settings file at start return useful message and don't fail because tried to use msgbox before the GUI application is running.
· Better handling of errors when identifying date format. Falls back to a reasonable default.
· Fixed error preventing message being shown when unable to change database details e.g. selecting a different db in the drop-down.
· Fixed bug in legend of auxiliary clustered bar charts when long value labels. Now has automatic line splitting.
· Correct initial display of csv data when importing if missing cells in some rows.
· Majorly reduced impact of bug when creating report tables using numbers with more decimal points than python displays when converting to text e.g. into an SQL statement ready for execution.
· CSV importing now provides useful error messages if actually an Excel spreadsheet saved as a csv with Excel features preserved (i.e. a faulty csv file). Also copes better with faulty delimiters being manually supplied.