February 14th, 2013New features and improvements:
· Charles now bundles Java on Windows and Mac OS X so you do not need to have Java installed before using Charles
· Mac OS X: Charles is now signed so you can launch it without warning on Mountain Lion. Also the look & feel on Mountain Lion has been improved
· DNS lookup, TCP connection, and SSL negotiation timing information is now measured and reported
· Keep-alive status for each request is now reported, so you can see whether a request was part of a kept-alive channel
· Protocol Buffer support, see the documentation.
· ACL warning no longer blocks all traffic
· Comparing transactions sometimes resulted in incorrectly repeated content
· Reverse proxy now correctly sets the Host header in the case of default ports
· Other minor bug fixes and improvements
December 8th, 2011Major bug fixes:
· Java 1.7 now supported. Corrects slow startup and hung responses bugs.
· Java 1.7 bad certificate error workaround for sites that use now disabled algorithms (ie. MD2withRSA)
· Windows: Fix launching Charles by opening a file
· SSL empty requests regression from 3.6.4 fixed
· SSL now records the correct remote address details
· SSL errors now more consistently displayed in the browser
· Authentication header viewer can now recover from slightly oddly formatted headers
· Closed connections regression from 3.6.4 fixed
· Double-clicking a request no longer switches Structure and Sequence view. I did this too many times accidentally. The contextual menu now has an option to switch.
November 15th, 2011Major enhancements:
· Linux support greatly improved, including an APT repository for installing Charles, integration into Gnome window manager and an application icon.
· JSON-RPC support now includes named parameters support
· CSV export includes more information
· AMF viewer, contextual menu includes copy to clipboard and base 64 decode.
· Mac OS X UI improvements: including save dialog improvements (no longer save into the parent)
· Firefox add-on now supports Firefox 9 beta
· Add "Always bypass external proxies for localhost" option to external proxies configuration, defaults to on to maintain existing behaviour.
HAR import/export bug fixes and enhancements:
· Missing data handling
· Charles specific status and exception information included for better export/import round-tripping
· Non-name-value POST bodies supported
· Date format compatibility
· Better error messages in the case of unsupported HAR imports
· Blank header handling
PCAP import bug fixes and enhancements:
· Now works again.
· Correctly import keep-alive responses
· Display imported requests in the correct order
Major bug fixes:
· Fix launch race condition that could result in a blank screen on startup
· Fix apparent hang on startup at Configuring Proxies on Linux
· Fix potential deadlock when using Breakpoints
· Mac OS X: fix problems on 10.6.8 with automatically configuring proxies
Minor bug fixes:
· Toolbar tools menu: remove tools that don't support toggling
· Fix bug when opening some HTTP trace files
· Fix bug handling zipped boddies on some Java versions
September 6th, 2011
· Mac OS X Lion: fix regression in 3.6.2 on Lion UI for tab panes.
September 2nd, 2011Major bug fixes:
· High CPU usage on Mac OS X resolved
· Msvcr100.dll not found error on Windows resolved
Minor bug fixes:
· SAZ file import: close SAZ files after importing so they can be used, moved or renamed by another process
· Firefox integration reports success more accurately and links to the correct download URL if automatic installation fails.
· Recording Settings - include and exclude lists are now sorted
· Windows installer now allows the user to choose the install location
August 24th, 2011Minor enhancements:
· 512x512 icons on Mac OS X and 256x256 icons on Windows 7
· Firefox 7 add-on update
· Added an alert displaying the local OS IP address to the Help menu
· Map Local tool now adds a note to requests that fail to map local as the expected local resource doesn't exist
· Fiddler / SAZ import fixed and improved
· Fix hang on start up at "Starting proxies..." on some configurations
· Improved multipart body viewer detection of multipart/form-data bodies
August 18th, 2011New features:
· HAR file import and export
· Fiddler session (SAZ files) import
· Mac OS X 10.7 support improved
· Rewrite tool URL rewrite now allows query strings to be created
· Mirror tool, filename length limit increased
· Firefox add-on detection improved for newer Firefox versions
· Authentication viewer bug fix
· Fault on startup due to invalid data in RewriteConfiguration
· Map Remote bug where Set-Cookie headers set a domain with a port of -1
August 18th, 2010
· Include response status in filtering for sequence view
· Fix bug in table views for multipart responses
· Fix SSL certificate bugs in Internet Explorer
· Fix bug when using a custom CA cert that needs a password on startup
· Fix bug in reverse proxy not rewriting redirects over SSL
· Add "Use External Proxy Servers" toggle in Windows tray icon menu
· Fix Base64 decode popup positioning over text areas
· Fix multi-monitor positioning of the Charles window
· Fix bug where on Mac OS X the "Grant Privileges" prompt would repeat endlessly
· Fix POST support when authenticating with external proxy servers
· Add Multipart request editor
· Add Authentication request editor
· Add OAuth authentication header support
January 29th, 2010
· Repeat advanced tool: fix bug which caused it to stop prematurely after a number of requests.
· Auto save tool: fix bug where "Enable on startup" didn't work.
October 4th, 2009
· Major changes and new features. SSL proxying has been changed to be opt-in per site, rather than on for all sites by default. This is to reduce user problems with Charles's SSL certificates. Charles also uses a new SSL CA certificate.
· Please note that the Charles config file in version 3.4 is not backwards compatible. Charles makes a backup of the 3.3.1 config file when you first start Charles 3.4 in case you need to downgrade.
· Added an explicit list of locations for which SSL proxying will be enabled. You can add to this list by right-clicking on host names in the Structure view.
· Support for client SSL certificates for authentication. See the Client SSL Certificates option in the Proxy menu.
· Setting to use your own SSL CA certificate for Charles to use (PKCS12 format)
· Charles's generated SSL certificates can now be permanently trusted in the browser, as an alternative to trusting the CA certificate
· Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard SSL certificate fixes
· Separate include and exclude lists, for people who exclusively want to record specific sites in Charles
· Location matching now supports query strings
· Location path matching no longer implicitly adds a * after the final /, so you can more accurately match paths. Existing patterns will be ported on upgrade.
· XML text view performance improvements using a new layout engine
· Syntax highlighted HTML
· Line numbers can now be used in combination with word wrap
· Diff request/responses. Including experimental tree-diff support for XML and AMF etc.
AMF / Flex:
· Improved error messages in the event of invalid data
· AMF3 over HTTP support
· AMF editor – change the type of a property
· AMF3 support added for LiveCycle DS externalizable classes
· Improved display of Flex method calls in transaction info
· Rewrite tool: Add to the response Notes field to describe the Rewrite rules that have been applied
· Rewrite tool: can now add to empty query strings
· Map Local & Map Remote in the contextual menu
Mac OS X:
· Mac OS X Snow Leopard look and feel improvements
· Auto-install Firefox add-on
· Fix hang with certain Nvidia graphics cards
· Find results sorting
· Fix lsof and netstat runaway processes in Client Process tool
· Add -config command line switch to specify config file location
· Support for ; as an alternative for & in query strings
· WinHTTP proxy settings autoconfiguration
· Web Interface improvements – now export & clear sessions, enable/disable any tool
· Record how long it takes to send the request – improves latency calculation on uploads
· Brief details of each response are shown in the Structure view tree
· Headless support using -headless command-line switch
March 26th, 2009
· inor new features and bug fixes. Experimental 64 bit Windows support