Macchiato is a very easy to use and simple plain text editor that also includes some interesting features. Modeled after TextEdit's plain text mode, the editor is a chrome-less blank canvas.
However, it is built from the ground up for writing Markdown prose—and, as such, it will format Markdown text as you write it. Macchiato will not "parse" your Markdown. Rather, it will "stylize" your Markdown source.
NOTE: Macchiato can only be purchased via the Mac App Store (the buy link redirects you to its App Store page). To purchase/download applications via the App Store an Apple account is required.
Here are some key features of "Macchiato":
Macchiato is a first-class citizen on Mac OS X Lion, and embraces all of the new Lion features:
· Full-screen mode: for when you need to focus.
· Auto-saving: your work is always safe.
· Version history: go back in time, if you screw up.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Typographical themes.
· Color themes.
· Markup characters are now subdued, making for a more natural reading experience.
· Plain text support.
· Improved user interface.
· Supports Universal Markdown Type Identifier.
· Many bug fixes and performance improvements.