DesktopShelves Lite is an OS X app that will display your Documents and Downloads folder as shelves on the desktop with a nice cover flow effect.
Quickly access your documents and downloads. Drop files onto the shelves or drag them from the shelves into other applications (for example as attachments into Mail.app).
A click on the app icon in the dock brings the two shelves to the foreground. A second click sends them back again.
NOTE: To download DesktopShelves Lite via the App Store an Apple account is required.
Here are some key features of "DesktopShelves Lite":
· Dropping a text selection on a shelf automatically creates a new text file
· Right-click and drag a file from a shelf to paste its contents into another app. Great for pasting text templates into email messages or blog posts
· Press Space when an item is selected to see a larger preview
· Right click on a shelf item to reveal it in Finder
· Double click a shelf item to open it
· 64-bit processor
· This Lite version will display only the Downloads and Documents folders as shelves
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Solved: shelves now remain visible when showing the desktop with the "show desktop" gesture or by pressing F11
· "separate shelves per space" feature restricted to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion for now (until a solution is available)