| User Rating:
Very Good (4.2/5)
Softpedia Editor's Review for VLC Media Player
Multi-platform and powerful multimedia player that helps its users play, convert and stream most popular video and formats via a simple and intuitive user interface
Written by Sergiu Gatlan on July 26th, 2013
At the moment, the software market is completely flooded with multimedia players designed to fit the needs of any user and with a focus on various modes of operation. Some of them come with an expert set of features that allows you to adjust each function manually, while others have a simple and friendly look that will help, even the users unaccustomed with how a media player should work, to get started playing video and audio content right away.
VLC Media Player, on the other hand, packs both of these within one intuitive interface that will give you quick and direct access to features as advanced as you want. Although its main window won't impress you, its Preferences window will enable you to adjust a staggering number of options when clicking the innocent looking "Show All" button.
Among its most popular features is also the fact that it comes with built-in support to a plethora of input media, as well as the most popular video and audio formats nowadays. Additionally, aside from being able to play all of them, VLC Media Player will also help one convert between nearly all and stream them on a network of your choice.
Furthermore, just in case you're not one to keep a collection of music on your own Mac, VLC Media Player also comes with a built-in Internet music services browser, neatly tucked within its main window sidebar. This makes it really easy to quickly browse a set of free music charts, the Freebox TV's listing, an extensive directory of online radios via the Icecast Directory and the Kamendo Selections, as well as a almost unlimited supply of videos and video podcasts provided by the Channels.com service.
Moreover, while playing multimedia content, you can use VLC Media Player's "Audio Effects" window to enable and adjust an equalizer, a dynamic range compressor, an audio spatializer and a number of filters that will make the audio experience a lot more enjoyable, for example, if you're watching your movies or listening to podcasts wearing headphones.
All in all, VLC Media Player may not have a user interface that matches Apple's design guidelines, but its extensive set of features speaks for itself once you put it to work. What's more, its GPL license and comprehensive multimedia format support are surely worth taking into consideration when searching for a new or better multimedia player for your Mac.
VLC Media Player description
Here are some key features of "VLC Media Player":
- CPU acceleration
- Subtitle support
- Video filters
- Input formats: AVI, MPEG (ES,PS,TS,PVA,MP3), Matroska (MKV), OGG / OGM / Annodex, ASF / WMV / WMA, MP4 / MOV / 3GP, Real, WAV (including DTS), Raw Audio: DTS, AAC, AC3/A52, Raw DV, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI / SMF, DVD Video, Video CD / VCD, SVCD, Audio CD (no DTS-CD), Video acquisition, UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, CP/RTP Unicast, and Creative Voice
- Fix random and reshuffling behaviour
- Fix recording
- Fix some subtitles track selection
- VP9 support in WebM
- HEVC/H.265 support in MKV, MP4 and raw files
- Fix GPU decoding under Windows (DxVA2) crashes
- Fix crashes on wav, mlp and mkv and modplug files
- Support Speex in ogg files
- Fix some .mov playlists support
- Support Alac in mkv
- Fix WMV3 and palette in AVI
- Fix FLAC packetizer issues in some files
- Fix DVB options parsing
- Fix DeckLink HDMI input
- Fix HTTPS connectivity on OS X by loading root certificates from Keychain
- Audio output:
- Fixes for DirectSound pass-through
- Fixes for OSS output, notably on BSD
- Fix HTTP interface infinite loop
- Fix D-Bus volume setting
- Reinstore right click subtitle menu to open a subtitle
- Fix saving the hotkeys in preferences
- Fix saving the audio volume on Win32, using DirectSound
- Fix play after drag'n drop
- Fix streaming options edition and scale parameter
- Stream out:
- Fix transcoding audio drift issues
- Fix nu...