queXF takes scanned paper forms generated using queXML and reads them. Operators can then verify that queXF has read the form correctly. Once this is done, the data collected can be exported in a fixed width ASCII file with a DDI data description.
queXF can be used as a web based, Open Source alternative to programs such as Remark OMR and Cardiff Teleform, in some situations. queXF can also be used as a CADE (Computer Assisted Data Entry) tool.
queXF removes the need to manually enter form data, therefore reducing error and fatigue. queXF does OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) on each form to determine if boxes have been filled, and can use Tesseract OCR to determine what characters have been entered in to boxes.
Operators need little knowledge of the form design as queXF breaks down the verification task in to a question by question process. The operator works in a web browser and does not need to install any other software on their computer, therefore can work from any location with network access.
queXF is Open Source and only relies on other Open Source packages to operate.
Here are some key features of "queXF":
· Unlimited number of operators for verification
· Accurately guesses if check boxes have been marked
· All operations done through a web browser, so distributed processing possible
· Allows forms to be reviewed over the web to confirm data is accurate
· Automatically detects locations of boxes on the form (no need to manually overlay boxes)
· Experimental: Integrates with Tesseract OCR to read text and numbers from the form
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New feature: Added remain to verify status by questionnaire
· New feature: Patch from John Milner to better handle dithered barcodes
· New feature: Added a CSV output where named fields are merged (CSV Merged)
· New feature: Added junk detection to barcode to improve recognition
· Fixed Bug: Verifer using GET to submit instead of POST
· Fixed Bug: Move default corner edges to 10 pixels from edge
· Fixed Bug: Allow importing of files with a space in the filename
· Fixed Bug: Manual ICR training displays images randomly on the page
· Fixed Bug: Listing failed files uses GET instead of POST and goes to successful files on submission
· Fixed Bug: Pagetest causing error at image boundary
· Fixed Bug: Reference to non existent image in CSS
· Fixed Bug: Content length causing download problems on some setups
· Fixed Bug: Error in CSV output for labelled Multiple choice questions (always returned as selected)
· Fixed Bug: Missing XHTML header in modifybox.php
· Translations: Updated from Launchpad