You Control: Tunes is a nice freeware tool that gives you complete control over iTunes from the Mac OS X menu bar.
You don't have to stop whatever it is you may be doing, switch to iTunes, take care of business and then go back to your original app. You can now simply pull down your very own custom menu that gives you access to the iTunes controls (Next, Previous, Volume, Play/Pause, Stop) as well as displaying the current track, artist and album.
You can also navigate your entire iTunes music library from this menu as well so you never leave your current application.
You know who you are. You've got thousands of song titles in your iTunes music library that you are constantly adding to and you've got a playlist for every occasion.
You listen to your music at work and while you're playing. So when you want to change a song or browse all of the albums by your favorite artist or just pause the currently playing song, why should you have to stop what you're doing and go to iTunes? You shouldn't have to, and now you don't.
The You Control: Tunes utility gives you full control over iTunes even when you are not in iTunes. You can set hot keys to control any or all of the iTunes controls including Next or Previous Track, Play, Pause and even the Volume.
Browse your entire iTunes library and playlists using the familiar menu-style navigation method then simply click on a song and it starts playing.
Here are some key features of "You Control: Tunes":
· View the rating of the currently playing song in the menu bar.
· Change the rating of the currently playing song in the menu bar.
· Place cool looking iTunes controls in the menu bar.
· Control iTunes without leaving your current application.
· Assign hot keys to your favorite iTunes commands.
· Navigate the iTunes library via a menu.
· Cool overlays display album artwork and current song.
· Place iTunes controls directly in the Mac OS X menu bar.
· 10 MB free hard disk space.
· Internet connection required for some modules to get updated information and for product registration.
· You have to register in order to receiver a FREE serial number.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· [New] Holding down the Option key in while clicking on the controls in the menu bar will toggle the Ratings stars on and off.
· [New] Added new option for larger images in the Overlay (XLARGE_IMAGE.
· [New] Show Overlay menu command now toggles to Hide Overlay, so the same hot key can be used to both show and dismiss the overlay.
· Fixed a bug that could cause iTunes to not hide properly when it is launched by the controller to play a track.
· Fixed a bug that would cause changes made to the current track in iTunes to not be reflected in the overlay.
· Updated black and white overlay.
· Fixed bad spacing on micro controller set.
· [New] Hot keys can now use the Option key on its own as the modifier.
· Assorted minor bug fixes.