Slate is a free and open-source window management application similar to Divvy and SizeUp (except free).
Slate was originally created to replace the aforementioned apps due to some limitations in how each work. Slate attempts to overcome them by simply being extremely configurable.
As a result, it may be a bit daunting to get configured, but once it is done, the benefit is huge.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Slate utility on your Mac are available HERE.
Here are some key features of "Slate":
Bind keystrokes to:
· move and/or resize windows
· directionally focus windows
· activate preset layouts
· create, delete, and activate snapshots of the current state of windows
· Set default layouts for different monitor configurations which will activate when that configuration is detected.
· Window Hints: an intuitive way to change window focus
· A better, more customizable, application switcher.
· Highly customizable
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Issue #239 - add events and event listeners
· Issue #252 - allow for integers in screenForRef
· Issue #241 - fix order of operations related issues in corner operation
· Issue #233 - allow numbers in options for move based operations
· fix doop on window object
· fix screenCount
· Issue #240 - add link to about page
· Issue #250 - load default config file properly
· Merge Pull Request #248 - fix undo for move based operations
· Merge Pull Request #253 - allow quoted arguments in shell operation