Free and open source PNG optimizer for your Mac
OptiPNG program also converts external formats (PNM, BMP, GIF, and TIFF) to optimized PNG, and performs PNG integrity checks and corrections.
NOTE: OptiPNG is licensed and released under the zlib/libpng license.
- It losslessly reduces the bit depth, the color type and the color palette of the image. This step reduces the size of the uncompressed image, which, indirectly, reduces the size of the compressed image (i.e. the size of the PNG file).
- It runs a suite of compression methods and strategies and selects the parameters that yield the smallest output file.
- It concatenates all the IDAT data in a single chunk, minimizing the overhead incurred by chunk headers and CRCs.
- It offers a suite of optimization level presets. Given the number of trials that the user is willing to run, these presets will select the range of compression parameters that are most likely to yield the smallest output.
- It offers a high degree of freedom to advanced users who can choose among many kinds of compression parameters. The optimization level presets and the custom compression parameters may be used in any combination.
- It allows advanced users to disable certain image reductions.
- It corrects integrity errors found in the input files. Bad CRCs, invalid data in ancillary chunks, incomplete PNG files, or extraneous data in IDAT, are examples of such integrity errors.
- It recognizes several external file formats: BMP, GIF, PNM (PBM, PGM, PPM), TIFF
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Other modification:
- Upgraded libpng to version 1.6.10-optipng.
- Upgraded zlib to version 1.2.8-optipng.
- Allowed the handling of huge image files (> millions of pixels per row or column) to be independent of the libpng version.