MoreSpace is an OS X utility that lets you save disk space using HFS+ folder compression without creating compressed archive files.
The HFS+ compressed files will remain at their original location and you can use them as you did before the compression. With MoreSpace applied HFS+ compression there is no need to create separate compressed archive files.
The Apple HFS+ compression technology was introduced in Snow Leopard and also used by Apple to reduce size of OS X system folders.
Your Mac will automatically decompress HFS+ compressed files on access, no need to manually extract them. When the compressed file(s) being modified or copied, OS X will store them uncompressed.
Moreover, the Finder will show you the original (uncompressed) file size of HFS+ compressed files, the occupied space difference shown in MoreSpace app and free space available value in Finder.
NOTE: To buy MoreSpace via the App Store, an Apple account is required.
Here are some key features of "MoreSpace Folder Compression":
· Add Folder: Apply compression to selected folders.
· Compress Mail: Open and select Mail folder and apply compression to mailboxes
· Refresh: Check compressed folder and reapply compression to modified and new files
· Decompress: Decompress all HFS+ compressed files in folder and remove from list
· HFS+ compression has the best effect on uncompressed file formats like text and data documents, databases and mailboxes. A typical Mail mailbox size can be reduced up to 50%.
· File types that already compressed, like jpeg, compressed videos, zip archives will be not compressed by MoreSpace.
· More Space will show the list of compressed folders compressed by MoreSpace.
· When you start MoreSpace it will scan previously compressed folders, and will detect changes. It will follow folders moved within the same volume.
· If you copy compressed files to another folder or volume, they will be uncompressed at new location.
· Compressed files can be shared on network.
· 64-bit processor
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fix on displaying volume icons