Flat File Extractor is a free and open source command-line utility that can be used for parsing different flat file structures and printing them in different formats. Flat File Extractor can also process fixed length binary files.
Main areas of use are:
· Extracting particular fields or records from a flat file, text or binary
· Converting data from one format to an other, e.g. from CSV to fixed length
· Verifying a flat file structure
· Testing tool for flat file development
· Displaying flat file content in human readable form
· Modifying flat file structures
· Map flat file fields to another format
Here are some key features of "Flat File Extractor":
· Command-line tool
· Reads standard input and writes to standard output as default
· One input file can contain several types of records (lines or binary blocks)
· Fields in a flat file can be fixed length text or binary fields or separated fields
· Input file structure and output definitions are independent, meaning one output format can be used with several input files
· Input file structure and output format are configurable, they are not predefined
· Output can be formatted e.g.: fixed length, separated, tokenized, XML, SQL,...
· ffe tries to guess the input format, user needs not to give it as a parameter
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Output option "hex-caps" implemented
· Performance enhacements for large number of expression values. Usefull when reading expression values from large file, see expression keyword "file:"