Crossword Forge is a fast and powerful OS X puzzle maker that provides lightning speed and unmatched flexibility to construct eye-catching puzzles with ease.
Crossword Forge puzzle engine takes advantage of modern computers with multiple processor cores.
Crossword Forge really takes making crossword or word puzzles to the next level with its speed, simplicity, and performance.
Crossword Forge comes with a variety English variations and four completely new languages to Word Ideas (formerly known as Word Suggester), new settings, and Quick-look previews.
NOTE: To buy Crossword Forge via the App Store an Apple account is required.
Here are some key features of "Crossword Forge":
Builds high quality crossword and word search puzzles:
· Interactive web puzzles*
· Print and PDF puzzles
· Picture backdrops
· Bonus clues
· Word banks (optional scrambling & supports fill-ins)
· Puzzle titles
· Customizable across and down text
· Custom grid shapes
· Supports puzzle grids of any size
· Unlimited clue and answer length - Print out can span multiple pages (if desired)
Streamlined puzzle editing:
· Data entry keystrokes optimized for rapid workflow
· Import data from tab or comma delimited text files
· Unlimited undo and redo
· Multi-lingual spell checker
Advanced puzzle engine:
· Can produce the densest possible puzzles from your words. We routinely test the engine by feeding it the words from newspaper crossword puzzles (just the words, we give it no hints on the grid) and it discovers the exact same grid layout as the original hand edited puzzles.**
· Incredibily fast puzzle engine which has been written to take full advantage of your multi-core Mac. Performance scales well even on high end Mac Pros.
· Includes a puzzle mask editor to tune the puzzle engine output
· Includes a "Word Ideas" window to help find the perfect next word to add to the puzzle.
· Support for restricted word lists in word search mode (i.e. helps eliminate accidental "naughty words" in your word search puzzles)
Made for the Mac:
· Puzzle files are viewable directly from the Finder using QuickLook.
· Drag & Drop Pictures and Text.
· Uses the document window icons so that you can easily move or copy your file without returning to the Finder.
· Includes Mac OS X's built-in spell checker.
· Supports the Mac standard controls, dialogs, and behaviors, so you don't have to spend time relearning stuff that should be easy.
Foreign Language Support:
· Full unicode support
· Support for characters with accents, umlauts and other diacritical marks
· Support for right to left scripts like Arabic and Hebrew
· Supports scripts and alphabets with combining ligatures
· Built-in presets for: English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Hebrew, Arabic, Afrikaans and more.
· Spell checker supports: English, French, Spanish, German, Danish, Dutch Portuguese, Swedish, Russian and Polish.
· "Word Ideas" dictionaries: English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. English dictionaries include US, British, Canadian, and Australian varieties.
· You can print only puzzle answer keys and some export options are disabled.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Writing mask letters in the puzzle mask editor is now easier and more obvious. We now include a "Write" control specifically for this purpose.
· Added an "Update Word List…" in the mask editor which will synchronize your changes from the puzzle mask editor to the main word list. This allows you to build puzzle manually much easier than before.
The basic synchronization rules:
· If the word is only in the mask it will add it to the word list and the puzzle grid
· If the word is in both the word list and the mask, but not yet in the puzzle grid, it will add it to the puzzle grid
· If the word is only in the word list, and the word doesn't have a clue specified it will be removed. (this rule doesn't apply for word search puzzles)
· If the word is only in the word list, and the word does have a clue specified you can optionally remove it.
· You can manually override the synchronization actions of any of the above. You can also specify clues for any words. This is great for when adding new word...