Carbon Copy Cloner is a straightforward and simple to use, yet very powerful, backup / clone utility for Mac OS X.
Carbon Copy Cloner is regarded as the most cost-effective, easy to use backup utility for Mac OS X.
Here are some key features of "Carbon Copy Cloner":
· Simple interface for indicating exactly what to back up
· Restore using the same process used for backup
· Backups are non-proprietary, so you can browse them or use them with Migration Assistant
· "Cloning Coach" offers proactive configuration advice and expert troubleshooting guidance when hardware or filesystem errors occur
· A Better Bootable Backup — your data, the operating system's data, all preserved impeccably on a bootable volume, ready for production at a moment's notice
· Simplest method to migrate to a new hard drive (larger or smaller), especially if you have lost your original Mac OS X Installation DVD
· Support for block-level disk-to-disk clones for super-fast upgrades
· Smarter & faster — Subsequent backups copy only the items that have changed since the last backup
· Merciful default settings protect against accidental loss of files on the destination
· Back up to hard drives, network shares or to disk images
· Schedule backup tasks on an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis
· Configure a backup task to run when the backup device is (re)attached to your Mac
· Convenient "Defer or Skip" features allow you to dynamically reschedule or skip a backup that occurs at an inopportune time
· Email notifications keep you on top of your backups
· Back up to another Macintosh on your home network or across the Internet
· Back up to a disk image with optional encryption
· Back up to and from network shares
· HFS+ formatted partition or hard drive (excluding volumes used for Time Machine).
· Firewire and USB hard drives including iPods.
· CCC will not backup directly to optical media.
· CCC is supported only on machines that officially support Mac OS X Tiger (or higher).
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added support for sending notifications to Mountain Lion's Notification Center. Growl support will continue to be supported for Snow Leopard and Lion, but in Mountain Lion, CCC will only send notifications to the built-in Notification Center. We understand that Growl offers functionality beyond Apple's Notification center, but the time required to maintain support for Growl and protecting CCC from problems specific to Growl has become too much of a burden to continue its support when there is a capable alternative offered by the operating system.
· Scheduled tasks configured to run when the source or destination is reattached now have an optional reminder interval. If your source or destination volume hasn't been attached in a given length of time (7 days by default), CCC will run the task and prompt you to attach the volume.
· When selecting a folder as the source or destination, CCC now displays a "bread crumb"-style indicator of the path to the folder to make it more clear where exact...
Reasons why this program is marked as ad-supported:
· Displays banners at the bottom of the cloning status window.