TinkerTool System is a high-end and extremely adaptable OS X maintenance tool that will allow you to easily change advanced operating system settings and provides its users with a wide variety of maintenance features.
TinkerTool System is fully compliant with Apple's Mac OS X security guidelines and it does not need an installer nor special system packages to be installed.
TinkerTool System makes use of a self-adapting GUI that will automatically adjust to the Mac model and to the OS X version you are running. All available options in the current situation can be accessed via “panes”, to the Apple's System Preferences application.
TinkerTool System's features are divided into four separate areas:
· System Maintenance: features to assist administrators in typical troubleshooting operations
· File Operations: features to work with advanced operations on files, permissions, and applications
· System Settings: controls to access system-wide settings built into Mac OS X
· User Settings: features for troubleshooting and maintenance operations which apply to the current user account only.
Here are some key features of "TinkerTool System":
· Run the periodic system maintenance scripts by simply pressing a button
· Reset the permission settings of Mac OS X system files (*)
· Repeat the installation step "Optimizing System Performance"
· Clean up cache files of the Internet browsers Safari, Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, FireFox, OmniWeb, Camino, Opera version 6, Opera version 7, iCab, and Shiira
· Clean up cache files for the current user
· Clean up cache files for the whole system
· Clean up cache files for device drivers and kernel extensions
· Clean up font cache files
· Remove archived copies of system log files
· Remove Finder information files (.DS_Store files)
· Remove resource fork emulation files ("dot underscore" files)
· Clean up temporary print files
· Remove core dump files
· Force-delete single files or empty folders
· Enforce emptying of the Trash if the Finder is unable to do this
· Restore the localization settings for your private home folder in case you have updated from Mac OS X 10.1 or have deleted, then recreated some folders
· Restore the alias for accessing the Desktop of Classic from Mac OS X
· Create symbolic links
· Set or unset locks for a large number of files
· Set the energy saver options for hard disks to specified values
· Deactivate the Sudden Motion Sensor on new PowerBook systems
· Tune the network options, including MTU size for each network interface, TCP and UDP receive window sizes, and TCP transmit window size
· Enable Quartz Extreme for a wider range of graphics cards
· Enable or disable file system journaling for Mac OS X Extended volumes
· Enforce diagnostic or safe startup mode for the operating system
· Make the system use only one processor or a limited amount of memory for diagnostic purposes
· Let the system emulate the programmer's switch on systems not equipped with that switch
· Let the system log kernel panic messages directly to screen in case the automatic panic log recovery doesn't work
· Change the base system language effective during startup and login without having to reinstall the system (*)
· Disable the startup chime
· Set preferences for display of the login window
· Add text messages to the login window
· Remove installed language packages from any folder or volume
· Verify the integrity of user preferences files
· Remove user preferences files which are no longer in use
· Repair the Help Viewer application
· Repair the translation feature of the Finder
· Rebuild the Launch Services database
· Remove all entries for Recent Items in all applications
· Show extended user account information
· Display extended hardware and manufacturing information for the computer
· Access more than 48 log files maintained by Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server.
· 5 uses full-featured trial. After evaluation, the app will fall back to demo mode.
· A window with the note Running in Demo Mode appears each time the application is started.
· The window Running in Demo Mode also appears whenever you attempt to use a feature which is not included in the list at the right. This feature will be blocked, so it cannot be used.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added support to the Internet privacy cleaning features for Firefox for Organizations (ESR) version 17.
· Enhanced Internet privacy feature when cleaning cookies of Safari and DEVONagent.
· Enhanced model detection for new Macintosh systems introduced in October 2012.
· Enhanced user interface when trying to run the application in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit operating system.
· Corrected a problem which could prevent the System pane from launching when detecting a disk volume with an invalid name.