SmartReporter is an OS X utility that can forewarn you of hard disk malfunctions before they actually occur.
It does so by probing the SMART status of your Mac's internal hard drives from time to time and carrying out a number of other tests searching for I/O errors or R.A.I.D. "degradation."
You will be able to monitor the current state of internal hard disks via the current state of the SmartReporter menu bar icon which turns from green to red if any errors are detected.
NOTE: To buy SMARTReporter via the App Store an Apple account is required.
Here are some key features of "SMARTReporter":
· Periodically checks the built-in S.M.A.R.T. status of all compatible connected disks.
· Unique capability to check the system kernel log-file for occurrences of dangerous "I/O errors".
· Automatically checks whether connected R.A.I.D. sets become "degraded" or just "offline".
· Monitors the free disk space.
· Completely customizable notification options for all four disk checks.
· Supports a variety of advanced options and tools including automated S.M.A.R.T self-tests, scheduled S.M.A.R.T. attribute checking and plotting graphs of all acquired data over time.
· At least one ATA, SATA or eSATA hard disk drive
· This demo version will not triggers any notifications if SMARTReporter detects a problem.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fix problem where false I/O errors could be reported under Mac OS X 10.8
· Fix problem that nothing would be written to the log-file on the first launch
· Fix problem where I/O errors occurring on Disk Images would be reported
· Fix e-mail problem notification being delayed until the alert notification is dismissed
· Fix support for S.M.A.R.T. checking disks contained in a "SoftRAID"
· Add information about configuration problems to the menu icon tooltip
· Add more reliable email delivery mechanism by sending through our server
· Don't show Dock icon when SMARTReporter is opened in while being "hidden"
· Show helpful dialog when opening the main window during configuration problems
· Fixed German localization (thanks to Julien Dirk)