NTFS-3G is a free and open source read/write file system Mac OS X driver for the Windows file system NTFS.
This means one can finally write to memory sticks larger than 4GB (formatted with NTFS).
A file system driver is the software component that interprets the on disk structures of the file system and presents a logical hierarchical view to the applications using it. It can be a part of the operating system, or come as a third party module, like NTFS-3G.
Here are some key features of "NTFS-3G":
· Ability to format NTFS volumes via diskutil
· Automatic read-write mounting of NTFS volumes
· Customizable locale settings on a per-volume basis
· An opt-out solution for volumes you want mounted read-only via Apple's NTFS driver.
· Waits for MacFUSE 'mounted' notification prior to handing drives to Finder
· MacFUSE Core
· MacFUSE Tools
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed filename encoding when standard functions are not available.
· Fixed checking mounted device status on some non-Linux platforms.
· Fixed mounting with SELinux context.
· Fixed -n and –no-mtab mount option handling, needed by automount.
· Improved consistency checks of POSIX ACLs.
· NTFS-3G manual update.