MiscTools package is a collection of small but useful utilities. Though they are small and trivial, I've found these programs to be indispensable.
The utilities are:
· basecvt: A simple program for converting numeric values from one base to another.
· bat: A binary dump program; similar to the UNIX od command, but produces output in a much more useful format.
· cpmod: A program to copy file permissions.
· dirstack: A curses-based directory browser/selector.
· dirtree: A program that generates a hierarchical list of filenames for a given directory tree.
· djinn: A wrapper tool that helps a Java program run as a true UNIX daemon.
· ftrunc: A program that truncates files to specified lengths.
· man2ps: A script that converts a manpage to a PostScript file.
· pascii: A program that reads characters from the keyboard and displays their ASCII codes in various formats.
· pfortune: A program that prints out random fortunes.
· pkgenv: A simple shell environment manager for software packages.
· psprint: A script that formats and prints various types of files to a PostScript printer.
· ps2pdf: A script that converts a PostScript file to a PDF file.
· ranline: A program that reads a line at random from a file.
· stat: A program that prints out information about a file.
· texi2pdf: A script that converts a Texinfo file to a PDF file.
· textlock: A password-protection program like xlock for use on text terminals.
· tformat: A program that reformats text, wrapping words as necessary, to fit within a specified number of columns.
· watcherd: A program that watches the size of a file and invokes another program when the file size increases.
· cbase library.