Keyclick is a preference pane designed for Mac OS that provides subtle audio feedback for each keystroke the system recognizes.
Years ago keyboards were made with premium key switches that provided a resounding click when a key snapped over.
Today most keyboards are made using rubber domes which can provide a similar force displacement or tactile feel, but not the sound. Human factors work on video terminals in the 1980s showed that the perception of keyboard crispness is correlated with audio feedback. Keyclick provides that feedback while improving on the original.
While there are existing programs that imitate the sound of an old fashioned typewriter, they do not appear to be intended as a practical touch typing aid. To be most effective, the feedback needs to subtle and non-distracting.
Keyclick allows you to adjust the volume up or down at any time without even visiting the Keyclick Preferences Panel. Use Cmd-Shift-( for softer and Cmd-Shift-) for louder.
The volume is also affected by the system volume setting so it can adapt more easily to quiet or noisy surroundings. Many long time computer users have fond memories of a favorite keyboard. Perhaps it was the Apple Extended keyboard (saratoga) or IBM Model M.
If your keyboard seems mushy, or you've ever longed for the crisp feel of an older keyboard, give it a try. You might be surprised how much you like the keyboard you already own.
Here are some key features of "Keyclick":
· Provides subtle but important feedback for each keystroke recognized by the system.
· Clicks for each auto-repeated character but does not click for modifier keys.
· Clicks in real time even when the program you are using is too busy to respond.
· Assists touch typing by confirming each successful keystroke.
· Relaxes the need for visual feedback of keyboard input.
· Adjustable keyclick volume directly from the keyboard.
· Activate or mute all sounds with global hot key combination Control-Alt-Command-T.
· Modifier Key Tones confirms Caps Lock, Shift, Cmd, Option, Control, and Fn.
· Optional typewriter sounds.
· Includes optional scroll wheel and mouse button click.
· Can exclude selected applications (such as games).
· Simple low cost solution.
· 21 days trial period.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added "iDevice Click Sound" to mimic the sound of the iPhone's on-screen keyboard.
· Fixed bug in Keep Sound Awake feature.
· Re-organized Keyclick Help as a navigable website.
· Added Help button at lower left of Preference Pane.