VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is remote control software which allows you to view and fully interact with one computer desktop (the "VNC server") using a simple program (the "VNC viewer") on another computer desktop anywhere on the Internet.
The two computers don't even have to be the same type, so for example you can use VNC to view a Windows Vista desktop at the office on a Linux or Mac computer at home. For ultimate simplicity, there is even a Java viewer, so that any desktop can be controlled remotely from within a browser without having to install software.
VNC Server is a remote control utility that enables you to securely share one or more desktops on the host computer with any number of client computers, across any network.
RealVNC recommends VNC Viewer for client computers, for seamless, secure connections.
Here are some key features of "VNC":
- Integrated Session Security:
- Integrated Session Security provides protection from connection snooping, man-in-the-middle attacks and packet-tampering attacks, to name but a few.
- Server Authentication uses 2048-bit RSA keys to verify identity.
- Viewer Authentication supports both usernames and passwords of up to 256 characters each.
- Secure Communication with 128-bit AES-the experts' choice for high performance encryption.
- Platform-Native Authentication:
- Platform-Native Authentication removes the need for separate VNC and system passwords. Users can access their desktops using the same credentials with which they log on to the system. For Windows this is authentication via NT-Domain or Active Directory, and for Unix is via NIS/NIS+.
- One-Port HTTP & VNC:
- One-Port HTTP & VNC allows VNC Server to serve VNC Viewer for Java and VNC sessions through a single TCP port, simplifying NAT and firewall configuration.
- Desktop Scaling:
- Desktop Scaling to a particular size, by a particular ratio, or dynamically to whatever size you choose.
- Cross-Platform Interoperability:
- Cross-Platform Interoperability with the other members of the VNC Enterprise family.
- File Transfer:
- File Transfer allows you to copy files between your server and viewer computers over the VNC connection-no need for additional configuration.
- Deployment Tool;
- The Deployment Tool for Windows helps to automate the deployment and configuration of VNC software throughout your enterprise.
- Mac OS X:
- NEW: Support for 10.9 (Mavericks).