MaxDB is a free and open-source, enterprise-grade Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) created by SAP AG.
MaxDB aims to provide new builds of this mature, yet powerful database system for recent releases of the major platforms and to bring the development of this last open-source-branch alive, again (MaxDB-7.6 had serious problems with e.g. JBoss-EJB. Since MaxDB-7.7 its development has moved back to SAP AG and the source-code is not available anymore).
Here are some key features of "MaxDB":
· Multithreaded database kernel
· Mostly ANSI SQL99 compliant (plus an optional OracleTM compatibility mode)
· Common features like BLOBs, user-defined DB functions, stored-procedures, triggers, RI-constraints and so on
· Fine-grained user access right granting on tables or fields
· Good concurrency due to row-level locking and an adjustable isolation-level
· Broad range of available interfaces: command-line tools, Embedded SQL (C/C++), ODBC, JDBC (Type-4 pure-Java) and specific APIs for Perl, Python, PHP and a proprietary OO-API for C++
· Easy administration with a sophisticated web-interface, command-line tools (e.g. for scripting) or a Windows GUI-Application
· Online backup (full/incremental) on filesystem, tapes, or all major backup solutions like Legato NetworkerTM, IBM TivoliTM and all "Oracle-Backint"-compatible backup systems.
· Online replication ("Hot-Standby") for high-availability
· And of course, it's designed for 7x24 h operation