Songbird is a desktop Web player, a digital jukebox and Web browser mash-up. Like Winamp, it supports extensions and skins (feathers).
Songbird is a player and a platform. Like Firefox, Songbird is an open source, Open Web project built on the Mozilla platform.
Songbird provides a public playground for Web media mash-ups by providing developers with both desktop and Web APIs, developer resources and fostering Open Web media standards, to wit, an Open Media Web.
Play as you visit. Web pages as playlists. Now with video hack!
Here are some key features of "Songbird":
· Add media to Songbird by importing from your file system or iTunes.
· Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA and WMA DRM on Windows; and AAC and Fairplay on Windows and Mac.
· Songbird now uses GStreamer as our main media playback system, across all platforms.
· Create dynamic playlists that automatically update based on criteria you set.
· Songbird includes an integrated web browser with features like bookmarking, tabbed browsing, and more.
· Over 25 completed, community-contributed localizations and growing!
· Quickly setup Songbird for the first time.
· Make Songbird your own by choosing from dozens of different skins feathers.
· Browse, organize, sort and search your media.
· Songbird's device support is limited. The Device Support wiki has additional details about what's supported. Apple iPhones, iPod Touch and Microsoft Zune devices are not yet supported.
· Songbird supports reading from and writing metadata to many music file formats. We still need to support the ability to fetch additional metadata from popular lookup services.
· Display the currently playing track's album art and write new artwork back to the file. We still need to support album art fetching.
Performance & Stability:
· Improving the performance and stability of Songbird is an ongoing focus. Each release we set aside dedicated cycles to ensure we're making progress.
· At least 512 MB of physical RAM
· At least 100 MB of available space on your hard drive
· Speakers or headphones
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Push music to wireless devices, like speakers and televisions
· Act as a media server allowing wireless devices to pull from your Songbird library