After 20 years of active development under a proprietary government license agreement, the BRL-CAD solid modeling suite has just been released as Open Source software.
BRL-CAD is one of the many legacies of the late Michael Muuss, author of ping. The package began on the PDP-11 and VAX 11/780--before the emergence of ANSI/ISO C language standards--and boasts one of the first parallel Ray tracers in existence. Today BRL-CAD has over 750,000 lines of source code.
BRL-CAD incorporates both 3D modeling and rendering capabilities, and supports an API for user-developed geometric analysis applications.
BRL-CAD continues to be developed and maintained by the U.S. Army Research Laboratory and its partners. Various portions of the package are distributed under the GFDL, GPL, LGPL, and BSD licenses.
BRL-CAD is a powerful constructive solid geometry solid modeling system that includes an interactive geometry editor, ray tracing support for rendering and geometric analysis, network distributed framebuffer support, image and signal-processing tools.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· fixed type F picture generation with rtwizard - Bob Parker
· Improvements to NURBS raytracing - Keith Bowman
· Updated libpng to version 1.5.10 - Cliff Yapp
· Added MUVEStoORCA matrix support to librtserver - Jim Hunt
· fixed BOT raytracing mistakes when using TIE - Keith Bowman
· fixed ARS bounding box size affecting overlap handling - Cliff Yapp
· fixed raytracing crash in 64 bit Windows - Cliff Yapp
· fixed MGED's manual page viewer on 64 bit Windows - Cliff Yapp
· fixed intermittent segmentation fault in MGED - Richard Weiss
· now sorting top level object alphabetically in rtwizard - Cliff Yapp
· improved handling of rgb/color attributes by adjust cmd - Cliff Yapp
· fixed referenced object highlighting in archer treeview - Bob Parker
· added optional scaling parameter to autoview command - Sean Morrison
· fixed extrude object bug rendering at near right angles - Bob Parker
· added -h option to nirt to suppress header printing - Cliff Yapp
· fixed nirt attribute reporting for specified attributes ...