MeTA Studio is a free, open-source and feature-rich programmable IDE designed for a computational chemist.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the MeTa Studio utility on your Mac are available HERE.
MeTa Studio is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Binaries for the Windows and Linux platforms are available on the project's homepage.
Here are some key features of "MeTa Studio":
· A programmable interface primarily through BeanShell with support for other languages
· Workspace support
· Visualization and Rendering (through JRman)
· Support for 3-D scalar field visualization
· Access to embedded Jmol and its libraries
· Access to parts or modifications of quantumj and mathutils libraries (hosted on java.net) for Quantum Chemical calculations
· Support for Divide and Conquer type algorithms for large scale Quantum Chemical calculations
· A peer-to-peer networking interface for grouping instances of MeTA studio running on multiple machines to perform varied tasks including computation, rendering and collaboration