Maxima is a system for the manipulation of symbolic and numerical expressions, including differentiation, integration, Taylor series, Laplace transforms, ordinary differential equations, systems of linear equations, polynomials, and sets, lists, vectors, matrices, and tensors.
Maxima is a tool that yields high precision numeric results by using arbitrary precision integers, exact fractions and arbitrarily precision floating point numbers. Maxima can plot functions and data in two and three dimensions.
The Maxima source code can be compiled on many systems, including Windows, Linux, and MacOS X. The source code for all systems and precompiled binaries for Windows and Linux are available at the SourceForge file manager.
Maxima is a descendant of Macsyma, the legendary computer algebra system developed in the late 1960s at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is the only system based on that effort still publicly available and with an active user community, thanks to its open source nature.
Macsyma was revolutionary in its day, and many later systems, such as Maple and Mathematica, were inspired by it.
The Maxima branch of Macsyma was maintained by William Schelter from 1982 until he passed away in 2001. In 1998 he obtained permission to release the source code under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
It was his efforts and skill which have made the survival of Maxima possible, and we are very grateful to him for volunteering his time and expert knowledge to keep the original DOE Macsyma code alive and well. Since his passing a group of users and developers has formed to bring Maxima to a wider audience.
· Xcode (to build Maxima from source)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Revision and extension of code for exponential integral functions
· Revision and extension of code for hypergeometric functions
· share/contrib/amatrix: revisions
· share/contrib/gf: bug fixes
· share/contrib/sarag: revisions
· share/contrib/zeilberger: revisions
· share/contrib/graphs: revisions
· share/contrib/distrib: revisions and new test script
· share/contrib/maximaMathML: revisions
· share/tensor: additional demonstrations
· Patches for Lispworks and MCL
· Revisions and extensions of reference manual and its translations
· fourier_elim([f(abs(x)) > 0],[x]) --> error
· error en unit package
· reset & error
· tex( limit(...,plus) ) wrong
· error message typo in eliminate
· diff of Taylor poly
· at with empty list / Fix
· bfloat(NaN) => finite number
· sign(max(7,x) - max(6,x)) --> error
· a misprint about radcan() in the manual
· Calling desolve inside a "for...do" makes it loop endlessly
· wrong radcan-simplification
· bessel_i(1/2,0) -> divide by zero error
· Describe (? xxx) depend...