GaitSym is a forward dynamic modelling program. What that means is that you specify the forces and the program uses Newton's Laws to calculate the movements.
You can download it from here including a range of human and non-human 2D and 3D models to get you started. It uses the Open Dynamics Engine physics engine to do most of the hard work and provides a file format and display system so the user does not have to do any programming.
GaitSym also provides various muscle models so that the forces can be generated directly from muscle activation levels and a number of hooks to allow it to be used with global optimisation tools such as genetic algorithms.
Here are some key features of "GaitSym":
· Fast, Flexible and Robust Forward Dynamic Modeller.
· Sophisticated Contact System.
· Minetti-Alexander and Umberger-Gerritsen-Martin Muscle Models for Metabolic Cost Estimation.
· Via Points and Cylinder Wrapping for Muscle Paths.
· Inertial Tensor Calculated from Triangular Mesh Outline.
· World or Local Coordinate Systems for Efficient Model Creation.
· Full Source Code Included (C++ compiles on MacOSX, Windows, Linux and other Unix systems).
· GaitSym includes a Variety of Non-human and Human 3D and 2D models.
· Produces High Quality Stills and Animations via External Ray-tracing.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Complete revamp of user interface using Qt for cross platform support.
· Command line no longer necessary to run models.
· 3D Data cursor for quicker data capture from bone scans.
· Much faster rendering allowing quick inter action with highly complex models.
· Extended data output options and better documentation.
· Improved data matching support.