iaxclient is an open source, multiplatform library for creating telephony solutions that interoperate with Asterisk, the Open Source PBX.
Although asterisk supports other VOIP protocols (including H.323 with patches, and SIP),IAX's simple, lightweight nature gives it several advantages, particularly in that it can operate easily through NAT and packet firewalls, and it is easily extensible and simple to understand.
Iaxclient pulls together the wide array of open source technologies required for telephony applications:
·speex - high quality audio codec optimized for human speech
·gsm - another popular codec for speech
·theora - open source video codec
·portaudio - cross platform audio capture and output
·libiax2 - inter-asterisk exchange protocol library for handing network communication
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed portmixer to be able to use USB audio input devices.
· Fixed portmixer to better support certain [obscure] USB audio output devices.
· Fixed configure script to better deal with --disable-video and libvidcap.
· Fixes and cleanups to contrib/tcl.
· Updates to README.VisualStudio.
· Added novideo VS2005 configurations for building on Windows without video support.
· Updated libvidcap.vcproj to use libvidcap-0.2.1 on Windows. libvidcap-0.2.1 is recommended for Mac and Linux too.
· Numerous fixes to VS2005 projects.
· Add Visual Studio project and solution for iaxcomm.
· Fixes for 'make dist'.
· Fix to make the API function iaxc_version() always defined.