aria2 is a command-line application that can be used to download files over the following protocols: HTTP, Metalink, BitTorrent and FTP.
aria2 comes with a unique segmented download ability that allows its users to download portions of the file from multiple sources and protocols at once.
aria2 can be used to automatically validate data chunks while downloading like BitTorrent. The outcome of the segmented download ability is that you will get high download speeds, often higher that the ones achieved by the browser.
Here are some key features of "aria2":
· Command-line interface
· Download files through HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/BitTorrent
· HTTP Proxy support
· FTP through HTTP Proxy
· HTTP BASIC authentication support
· HTTP Proxy authentication support
· Segmented downloading
· Download speed throttling
· Upload speed throttling in BitTorrent
· Cookie support
· Load Cookies from file whose format is one used by Netscape and Mozilla.
· Run as a daemon process.
· Selective download in multi-file torrent/metalink
· BitTorrent Fast extension support
· Multi-tracker support
· Metalink version 3.0 support(HTTP/FTP/BitTorrent)
· Chunk checksum validation in Metalink
· Can disable segmented downloading in Metalink
· netrc support
· Configuration file support
· Download URIs found in a text file or stdin
· Parameterized URI support
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Add code to detect rst2html.py or rst2html
· AppleTLS: Properly support Snow Leopard (10.6)
· Enable multicast loopback in BitTorrent local peer discovery
· Enable TLS1.1 with gnutls build
· Support off64_t for Android build
· Check zlib availability usin AC_CHECK_LIB
· Treat response is completed if EOF is received before streamFilter completes
· uitos: Fix off-by-one error bug
· Add configure support for linking tcmalloc_minimal and/or jemalloc
· Close GZipFiles in the d'tor
· Add libaria2, C++ library interface to aria2
· Add missing check for sigaction
· Fix cached data is not flushed when downloaded data is less than 16KiB
· LibUV: Implement LibuvEventPoll