Auto Compress File is a Thunderbird add-on whose main purpose is to reduce the size of the messages. E-mails that are greater than 5 MB are generally blocked by ISPs.
Furthermore the Auto Compress File extension lets you archive attachment files when sending e-mails.
Auto Compress File is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Here are some key features of "Auto Compress File":
· Compression format is "zip", using native Mozilla API
· All or only a selection of attached files can be compressed.
· Files can be compressed individually or archived in one compressed file.
· A toolbar button is added to composing window and allows to compress files.
· Full control on the way attachment files are compressed
· Compression can be undone.
· Two filters can control if attachment files are compressed or not.
· Files to compress can be filtered via filename criteria
· Files to compress can be filtered via format criteria based on file extension
Compressed attachment files can be renamed using 3 different methods:
· Renaming pattern for modes (b) and (c) can contain meta-data
· Extension of compressed files can be user-defined
· File compression can be enabled/disabled regarding email recipients
· The add-on provides a 'debug mode'
· Thunderbird 3.0a1pre and later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
A new filter has been added to control if attachment files are compressed or not:
· - a files count filter.
· Bugfix: When changing compression method through quick settings menu, the size and ratio value settings were not changed.
· Maximum compatibility setting has been enabled for Thunderbird v22.* to v24.0.