RSS Guard is a free and open-source application that allows you to read online RSS 0.92/1.0/2.0 & ATOM 1.0 feeds.
RSS Guard can be minimized to notification area and it can automatically look for new messages and notice you if there are any.
RSS Guard is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Binaries for the Windows and Linux platforms are available on the project's homepage.
Here are some key features of "RSS Guard":
· separate encoding for each feed (changeable via settings)
· tray bubble notification
· no huge dependencies
· PROXY servers supported (Socks5, Http)
· automatic fetching of new messages
· browsing messages in tabs
· browsing messages in internal web browser (with Webkit core)
· option to open messages in external web browser
· news syndication standards followed
· OPML 1.0 compatible
· RGX (RSS Guard XML files) compatible
· RSS 2.0 - RSSG is able to parse only feeds, which are RSS 2.0 compatible (there are plenty websites, that have incompatible feeds)
· RSS 0.92/1.0 - older version of RSS standard
· ATOM 1.0 - quite new feed format (many sites do not follow ATOM 1.0 specs and use some kind of "pseudo-atomic" implementation)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· fixed issue #75, #77