Discover the new standard in Web browsing. Download Opera today to get the fastest and most powerful Web browser available and make the most of your time online.
Opera is a standards-compliant Web browser for Mac OS X, Unix, Windows, QNX, Symbian, OpenBSD and several other operating systems.
Opera gives you a better Internet experience with its combination of speed, unique features, and keyboard shortcuts.
Opera Portable provides the same capabilities but it can also be installed on a USB stick (or encrypted disk image) in order to carry the bookmarks and settings, mail, and everything else.
Opera Portable can be installed to /Applications like always, or it can be put on a external USB stick or an encrypted disk image. In the second case the user will be able to have all the preferences wherever he chooses to use the portable device.
To install Opera Portable download and mount the disk image. Drag Opera from the disk image to an USB stick or external drive.
Open Terminal.app and drag Opera from the USB stick and drop it ontop of the Terminal window. Press backspace once then type /Contents/MacOS/Opera -createsingleprofile (should read …Opera.app/Contents…) then press Enter.
The user has to run this once and it will create a hidden folder /Volumes/volume-name/.operaprofile/ that will contain all the bookmarks and settings, mail, and the disk cache.
Here are some key features of "Opera Portable":
· Stay away from spy-ware, viruses, and other malicious applications that silently attack your computer while you are surfing the Web. For example, Opera displays security information inside the address bar, located next to the padlock icon that indicates the level of security present on a site. Opera 8 also provides protection against phishing attacks and automatically checks for security updates. More about security
· We're holding on to our claim: "The Fastest Browser on Earth". In Opera 8, further improvements have been made in the way the browser reads pages to allow you to fly the Web.
Tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking:
· Opera pioneered tabs and pop-up blocking ages ago. But they're still key features that more and more people start enjoying. With tabs you can open multiple pages within the same application window. Opera lets you control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested.
· Search your favorite sites, for example Google, eBay, or Amazon without having to go to their Web pages. Use the integrated search window or search directly in the address field using shortcuts (e.g. writing "g Opera" in the address field will search for "Opera" using Google).
· Using the 'appearance' dialog you can make Opera look almost any way you want. Move buttons and search fields, add and remove toolbars, and so forth. Opera skins can change the look of your browser by giving it the icons and buttons of your choice.
· Opera's password manager, the Wand, remembers your usernames and passwords so you will not have to. The password manager can store more than one username and password combination for each page, and will let you choose which one to use if multiple combinations are stored.
· Full support for Gmail
· Support for Atom newsfeeds
· First Web browser to natively support Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG).
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· CORE-32762 (Crash prevention for spell checking)
· CORE-35898 (URI fragment identifier wasn't being exposed in all URIs)
· CORE-35350 (Expose the widget object to extension scripts)
· DSK-324730 (Crash on printing Trafikanten.no)
· DSK-309863 (Disk cache in Turbo mode prematurely emptied after bringing up a context menu)
· DSK-321933 (Deactivate auto-reload in speed dials when the address changes)
· DSK-322244 (Pinned tabs too wide with a collapsed tab stack)
· DSK-326380 (Opera Portable/USB for Mac and single profile)
· DSK-323299 (Optimize bookmark menu updating. Prevents freeze on keyboard input.)