Elgg is a social networking platform in a box - think of it like your own private, white label Facebook. Elgg provides many of the same concepts including groups, friends and an activity stream.
If you are looking to host an in-house Facebook-like system Elgg is a great option and the JumpBox for Elgg provides the easiest way to get started with it.
A JumpBox makes using server software quick and simple. It packages an application's software, dependencies, and application data into a single virtual computer that enables you to focus on the application, not the details of getting the application to run.
Here are some key features of "Jumpbox for Elgg":
There are a handful of widgets available for it which enable features such as:
· Blogs: write posts that are shared amongst specific groups for friends
· Twitter: integrate your Twitter account so Elgg bi-directionally aggregates your Tweets and flows Elgg posts out via your Twitter stream.
· Wire posts: post sitewide notifications that are available regardless of group membership.
· Flexible notifications: customize your email notifications so you receive update messages based on activity amongst certain groups or friends.
· Virtualization software. See the complete list of supported systems.
· For easiest use: a network that assigns dynamic IP addresses. (Most do)
· 3 GB Free disk space
· Minimum 1 GB System RAM (Each JumpBox you run on the same system will need 256-512MB of additional RAM)
· Minimum 1 Ghz CPU
· Limited access to libraries.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Upgraded elgg to version 1.8.15. This is a general bugfix update that also brings significant changes to how the application works with Twitter. See the full release notes for detail: http://blog.elgg.org/pg/blog/cash/read/227/elgg-1815-released
· Upgrade on backup restore possible from JumpBox version 0.9 or higher