StatusNet is an Open Source microblogging system that gives you Twitter-like functionality with the ability to run it behind a firewall on your network.
Twitter often is perceived with a negative stigma when talking about work productivity. But StatusNet gives you the beneficial awareness and presence advantages of using a microblogging system that you control on your terms. Try it yourself using the Cloud Gear service.
JumpBox takes the pain out of server software deployments. A JumpBox packages an application's software, dependencies, and application data into a single virtual appliance that deploys locally, or hosted to major virtualization, and cloud computing platforms.
Deploy on Windows, Mac, or Linux using virtualization platforms like VMware, Xen, Parallels, Virtual Iron, Microsoft Virtualization, and Amazon EC2.
Here are some key features of "JumpBox for StatusNet":
· Shallow learning curve: StatusNet uses many of the same concepts and syntax from Twitter so if you're familiar with that microblogging system it should be very easy for you to adopt this system.
· Run it securely on your network: You can run it entirely behind your corporate firewall and block access to the public Internet making it as secure as your internal network.
· Extensible: StatusNet has a plugin architecture that allows anyone to write add-ons that extend its functionality.
· Sync it with a Twitter account: It's possible to link your StatusNet system with Twitter and have one drive the other.
· Access it via multiple methods: SMS, email, instant messenger and native desktop clients are all supported as alternative UI's to the web interface.
· Hashtags, Search, Favorites and Groups: Various means exist for sorting, searching and tracking topics and individuals in the system giving you ultimate flexibility in how your choose to monitor information.
· An intuitive user interface to quickly guide users through deployment.
· A web-based control panel for simplified management of system functions.
· Jumpbox also provides a backup system that is able to provide data security and portability.
· Virtualization software.
· For easiest use: a network that assigns dynamic IP addresses. (Most do)
· 3 GB Free disk space.
· Minimum 1 GB System RAM (Each JumpBox you run on the same system will need 256-512MB of additional RAM).
· Minimum 1 Ghz CPU.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This is a maintenance release. The included version of the application has not changed.