The German Spell Check Dictionary conforms with the new German orthography.
The new spellcheck engine Hunspell allows dictionaries to define complex rules for using compound words and the German spell check dictionary for Thunderbird has been optimized for that. Hunspell will replace Myspell in OpenOffice with release 2.0.2.
NOTE: The German Spell Check Dictionary is cross-platform and it works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
Here are some key features of "German Spell Check Dictionary":
· creation of compound words - the lack of compound word support was a big point, which people used to criticize about OpenOffice in German speaking regions.
· suppression of certain vulgar vocabulary without totally banning such vocabulary
· blacklisting of words, which might be correct if you just take the compounding rules but which are incorrect. Other famous spell checkers don't seem to have such a feature or they don't use it - MS Word doesn't know about lots of common typos
· alternative Binnen-I spellings, often used in gender-aware writings
· the Hunspell part of igerman98 is dual licensed. As before it's under GPL but alternatively you can use a OASIS distribution license agreement, which allows you to distribute an unmodified version of it if the program you distribute uses the OpenDocument format as default format for saving documents
· Thunderbird 3.0a1 to 3.7a5pre
· Firefox 3.0a1 to 3.7a3pre
· SeaMonkey 2.0a to 2.1a1pre