A browser add-on that enhances the right-click menu with a whole bunch of useful options
SelectionSK is a simple and useful Firefox and Thunderbird add-on that will provide you with an entire set of handy options: copy, highlight, translation, search, etc. that will appear in the selected item's context menu.
The idea beyond SelectionSK is that text is always selected with the purpose, so it is more convenient to automatically popup the menu on selection rather than do it in two steps (select and right mouse click).
The SelectionSK add-on is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Here are some key features of "SelectionSK":
- Copy selection to the clipboard in various ways (standard copy, copy as plain text, copy as html). More advanced copy functionality includes automatic copy on selection (like in Linux) and ability to append text to the clipboard.
- Translate selected word or text using various translation engines (Google, Bing, Yandex Dictionary, Urban Dictionary, Merriam-Webster dictionary). Translation can be copied to the clipboard. In addition, translation window has a link onto page where full definition of translated text (for instance, pronunciation or usage examples) can be obtained. Double click on the text in the translation window will allow to edit it, text will be re-translated once Enter is pressed. Please see attached screenshot which highlights all functionality available within translation window.
- Highlight all occurrences of the selected text. Extension uses Firefox built-in highlighting mechanism, but extends it with following: more than one word or phrase can be highlighted; highlighting colors are configurable in the preferences window.
- Open text as URL. Text will be validating for URL in a smart way – in addition to well-formed URLs, extension will check broken URLs (for instance, without http prefix) and href attribute. Obfuscated URLs and email addresses like "hxxp://website(dot)name(dot)com" or "mail(at)provider(dot)com" will be detected and de-obfuscated.
- Send selection to the mail recipient. New email window will be opened using mailto: protocol, selected text will be added as email body. In addition, selection will be copied to the clipboard, which allows to insert it to the email from the clipboard (useful if selection has images or rich html).
- Save selection or translation result to file. It is possible to creates a log-type file and save current selection (plain text or HTML) or translation result.
- Search with the installed search engines, allowing you to use a current search engine or select a specific search engine every time. Configurable number of search engines can be show in the main menu.
- Items from Firefox context menu can be duplicated to the extension menu; that provides the easy integration with Firefox and other extensions because many extensions add custom items into Firefox context menu.
- options didn't remember chosen target language
- language names will be shown in native language in the preferences window
- more supported languages added for Bing Translation and Google Translate
- added option to change font size of translation window
- urban dictionary translation engine fixed