The Fastest Search add-on lets you browse through history, bookmarks or by using a particular search engine.
You can add or import engines from the searchbar or from the web. Select text and customize or preview the search results.
The Fastest Search add-on is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Here are some key features of "Fastest Search":
· Search plain text, whole-word, regular expression, in page(s) for current tab, all tabs or filtered tabs! Or one could search in tab title/url only.
· Reports count, distribution and context of matches with a Match Distribution Bar.
· Use Ctrl-Shift-F to open Search Panel, Find-as-you-type (FAYT) is also supported in Options!
· F3, Ctrl-G to search forward, F2, Shift-F3, Ctrl-Shift-G to search backward, with special highlights for matches
· Search works in iframe/input/textarea/select(dropdown menu)/frameset.
· Optional: Show a list of all matches in current tab with (adjustable) context info.
· Blacklist to disable FAYT on certain sites (like email sites).
· Optional: Auto-hide Match Distribution Bar, minimum keyword length for FAYT to start, show reminder for search options.
Instant Search in URL Bar:
· Instant Search in both LocationBar and SearchBar - As you type in LocationBar, top match in history/bookmark/Google search is instantly loaded.
· Use customizable shortcuts to launch search on any one/multiple/category of engines (also load instantly)
· Instant loading speed is adjustable, could be turned off completely with one checkbox in Options.
· SearchBar allows Instant too IF you use engine shortcuts (see below).
· Optional: Turn Instant on/off for individual engines.
· Override the annoying Firefox 'switch to tab' when Instant is enabled.
· If you use InstantFox addon, you have to disable it for Fastest Search's Instant LocationBar to work perfectly (their v2.0.8 introduced some odd behavior that altered Firefox's searching of history and bookmarks). Anyway, Fastest Search pretty much covers all InstantFox's features and loads more.
Fast/Instant Search on Custom Search Engines:
· Use engine shortcuts to quickly search in URLBar and SearchBar - 'w,y music' searches for music on Wikipedia and Yahoo. 'Finance GOOG' searches Google stock on all engines in Finance category. Note - prior to v1.79 you must use ';w,y music' or ';Finance GOOG' to search. ';' + shortcut still works in v1.79 not only in URLBar etc. but also in ANY textbox on any webpage.
· Important: Engine shortcuts and category names are both case-sensitive!
· Many included engines but adding custom engine or importing SearchBar engines is extremely easy!
· Multiple-category supported for each engine, allowing slice/dice engine collection for special searches.
· Moveable, multi-tab panel allow quick & same-page access to single- or multi-engine search results.
· Manage/backup/share engines using 'Search Engines' panel.
· Use any textbox on webpage to search with engine shortcuts
· Ctrl + ';' shortcut focuses inside 1st textbox on any page, allowing fast input/search.
· Adds another search box at bottom of Google web/video/news/shopping pages for your convenience.
Fastest Search on Selected Text:
· Select text on page & click popup icon or press 'Enter' key to search right away!
· Best engine from 1 of 6 categories is selected for you automatically.
· To change engine, just type the engine shortcut/Category you want (no need to focus in the Search Div textbox first)
· Right click on the icon to preview search result instead of opening tab
· Optional: Adjust preview panel size, set preview as default action for searching.
· Press 'tab' key to bring the engine and selected text to Firefox searchbar to modify the text before searching.
· Press 'ctrl' key to hide Search Div popup, press 'shift' key to bring it up again.
· Get driving directions from home to selected address with only 3 keystrokes! From address to home takes just one more keystroke.
· Optionally make the popup not show (pressing 'shift' still brings it up) or adjust position of Search Div relative to mouse.
AutoCopy / Drag&Drop Features:
· Select text on a webpage & the text is automatically copied onto clipboard.
· Selected text inside text input box, textarea and HTML editor iframes is NOT auto-copied.
· Click middle mouse button to paste text into textboxes.
· 'smart copy&paste' feature for quick URL copying, select-all copying and paste-n-go.
· Right click & drag links to 4 zones (UpperRight, UpperLeft, LowerRight, LowerLeft) to open links in tabs on left/right in fore/background.
· Right click & drag images saves the image automatically into one of 4 directories.
· Press Alt, Shift, Ctrl, and their combinations to change options like the image location/name or choose to open link instead, all on-the-fly.
· 'Force find image' option lifts the block websites place on right clicking on image (respect the copyright though!)
· Firefox 15.0 and later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed a bug caused by Firefox changing its API without consideration of backward-compatibility (with some reason but certainly could be handled better), breaking hundreds of addons including FS (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=820522) in FF18.
· Fixed a bug when user that uses find-as-you-type tries to input text inside an embed object, FAYT takes over, disabling text input.
· Fixed a bug that caused failure to import searchbar engines when one or more engines do not have icons.
· Now packed with Addon SDK 13.2.