FilePhile was created with a very specific goal: to solve the person-to-person file transfer problem.
What is the person-to-person file transfer problem? Well, have you ever wanted to send something large to a friend or colleague? First you try e-mail, but it's too big.
Then you try a web-based service, but those cost too much, have size limits, use crummy browser-based HTTP file upload, or... well... maybe what you're sending is something confidential and you don't want to upload it to someone else's server.
So then, if you or the other party is tech-savvy, you mess around with trying to forward ports, set up FTP servers, and so on. Finally you either cobble something together or give up and mail the person a disk.
And that is the person-to-person file transfer problem.
To send a file with FilePhile all you have to do is to simply drag it onto a user's e-mail address in your buddy list, double click on a user, or use the File->Send item in the top menu bar.
Here are some key features of "FilePhile":
· Unlimited: Transfer unlimited numbers of files of unlimited size. (Users have transferred tens of gigabytes!)
· Easy to Use: FilePhile is as easy to use as an instant messaging client. It's like an instant messaging client for files. Just add another FilePhile user to your buddy list and then drop a file or directory onto their e-mail address. That's it.
· Direct: Files go directly from your computer to the recipients, which is both faster and more secure. This is also why FilePhile can be free, since it means that we don't have to actually handle file data.
· Private and Secure: Absolutely private and secure, with professional-grade end-to-end encryption! We can't even see what you're transferring! Great for trade secrets, confidential presentations, medical data (HIPAA), legal documents, or anything else that must remain safe from prying eyes.
· Bullet Proof: Transfers just keep going and going, automatically resuming when temporary problems occur. Just send a file and forget about it! FilePhile recovers from crashes, reboots, sleep/wake, and even changes in network location. You can start a transfer at home, pack up your laptop, go somewhere else, and the transfer will resume when your laptop comes back online!
· Cross-Platform: Got friends or co-workers who use Windows, Linux, Macintosh, or even more obscure operating systems like FreeBSD? No problem! FilePhile can run on almost anything!
· Absolutely Free: The basic client is absolutely free, and a professional version with enterprise features is on the way. Free also means no nefarious hidden "costs." We don't sell e-mail addresses to junk mailers, bundle spyware with our product, or violate your privacy.
· Free FilePhile account
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed a small bug that was causing the client to hit the master server with excessive duplicate requests to add and remove users from the buddy list.