ClickToPlugin is a lightweight and highly customizable extension that prevents Safari from launching plug-ins automatically, resulting in faster browsing, reduced fan usage, and increased battery life.
ClickToPlugin replaces every plug-in object by an unobtrusive placeholder that can be clicked to load the embedded content.
Furthermore, ClickToPlugin can replace many plug-in-based media players by Safari’s native HTML5 media player.
You can customize the type of content ClickToPlugin can block in the Preferences window.
By default, ClickToPlugin only replaces a Flash element by a tag if the video source can be played in the Mac version of Safari 5 without any plugin. This applies to the following Flash elements:
· YouTube videos: Both on-site and embedded videos. All YouTube videos have H.264-encoded MP4-contained sources. Resolutions in this format are Medium (< 360p, always available), 720p, 1080p, and 4K.
· Vimeo videos: Both on-site and embedded videos. All Vimeo videos have H.264-encoded sources, and most of them are in MP4 containers. A few are FLV files that Safari cannot play natively. Maximal resolution is 720p.
· Dailymotion videos: Both on-site and embedded videos. All Dailymotion videos available in 'high quality' have H.264-encoded MP4-contained sources. Maximal resolution is 720p.
· Safari 5 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed Break, Dailymotion, and Facebook killers (thanks Josh Rafofsky!)
· Swapped obsolete Tumblr killer with an IGN killer