FreeCAD is a free, complex, easy to use 3D CAD/MCAD/CAx/CAE/PLM modeler, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits in a wider range of uses around engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties.
FreeCAD is an application based on a parametric modeler with a modular software architecture which makes it easy to provide additional functionality without modifying the core system.
The FreeCAD interface is built with Qt. FreeCAD runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.
Here are some key features of "FreeCAD":
· Support for multiple platforms and plugins
· Allows you to change the document structure
· Easy to use interface and user interaction tools
· Mesh support
· 2D drafting
· CAD modules
· Python scripting support
· Import and export multiple formats
· Ray tracing tool
· Drawing module
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The FreeCAD translation project has received huge help from many people around the world and FreeCAD now ships with no less than 15 languages: English, German, French, Italian, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Ukrainian, Norwegian, Afrikaans, Finnish, Simplified Chinese, Croatian and Dutch. And many more languages are being worked on for the next releases.
· Several improvements have been brought all over FreeCAD, for example the hierarchy tree now allows complex object stacks, keeping all your geometry history clean and easily accessible and modifiable. New python API improvements also allow objects to interact better with the tree, defining their own behaviour, icons, etc.
· The copy/paste mechanism has also been much improved, now allowing easy copy/pasting of objects between documents.
· The Part Workbench features new tools such as mirroring and edge fillets and chamfers.
· Sketch and part design
· The constraint solver of the Sketcher Workbench has been totally rewritten...