Softpedia Editor's Review for Minecraft
Intriguing and entertaining indie game about building structures, discovering mysteries and fighting with all kinds of monsters when the night comes
Written by Octav Fedor on July 31st, 2013
Minecraft is one of the most popular video games in recent years. It's an indie game about building structures, discovering mysteries and fighting all kinds of monsters. Although many have criticized its low quality graphics, it still manages to attract more and more players every day.
In order to play Minecraft, you'll need to register for an account that you can use to play both offline and with others with the help of a server.
The idea of the game is simple: players focus on building structures and fighting off enemies. You can freely explore, modify and interact with a pixelated world made of one-cubic-meter-sized blocks.
The environment also includes various objects such as items, mobs (animals) and plants. Using your tools, you can mine for ore, create new blocks, enchant items and fight hostile mobs.
Minecraft provides you with endless possibilities in the sense that you can create your own single player maps, structure and even artwork. Much like an MMO, Minecraft is a game that never ends. Theoretically, you can collect as many resources and craft any number of structures as you like.
Moreover, the game offers two modes: Creative and Survival. The first enables you to make huge structures from the ground up in a hostile-free world. The latter, however, is for players who want to be challenged by incoming monsters. Your goal here is to craft items and defend yourself at all costs.
Aside from the usual activities, you can also try to journey to an alternate dimension (The End) where the goal is to defeat the Ender Dragon. It's not as easy as it sounds, though.
- The demo version is single player only and lasts 5 game days per world.
- New world generation:
- Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world option.
- Less ocean, more awesome.
- New blocks:
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be bigger sizes!
- Added more type of fish.
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments!
- Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
- Lots of new colors for lots of blocks!
- Now with less lag!
- Achievement & Statistics overhaul:
- Now both world (or server) specific.
- In multiplayer, it’s announced to everybody when you get an achievement.
- You can move your mouse over this in the chat to see what it was!
- Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
- Zoomable achievements screen!
- Multiplayer enhancements:
- Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in ...