Hammer of Thyrion 1.5.5
Free and open source port of Raven's Hexen II source
HoT includes many bug fixes, opengl improvements, improved sound and video modes, and documentation among many others.
NOTE: Hexen II source, and the Hammer of Thyrion source port, are free
but the game itself is not: you must have an original copy of the
game released by Raven Software and Activision.
- Support for Hexen II, Hexen II demo, Portal of Praevus mission pack and HexenWorld.
- Cross-platform code: Tested on Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Windows. The software renderer version is tested on QNX. Other unices should also work. There are seperate ports to MorphOS and PalmOS.
- Tested on 32 bit and 64 bit platforms.
- In-game resolution changing for both opengl and software renderers. Instant fullscreen/windowed toggling on X11 (unix).
- OpenGL enhancements including multitexturing, glow effects, working brightness control, text and hud size changing on the fly, translucent console background, console background stretching, colored lights and support for external lit files, fixes for texture cache and model mesh cache mismatches.
- Fully network-compatible with Raven's 1.11 windows version as well as with other Hexen II ports. Can load and play games saved with Raven's 1.11 windows version.
- The same binary handles both original hexen2 and the mission pack.
- The same hexen2 binary transparently handles both v1.11 (hexen2) and v1.12 (mission pack) style progs.dat files.
- Fullscreen intermissions and help dialogs.
- MouseWheel support.
- Improvements and fixes to the HexenC game code.
- Improved sound support: A selection of three different sound drivers (ALSA, OSS and SDL) for Linux. FreeBSD is supported with OSS and SDL, OpenBSD and NetBSD are experimentally supported with sunaudio and SDL.
- Working music volume controls and on the fly selection of CD or MIDI music.
- Full user directories support under unix: all users have their own configuration files and game saves.
- Improved console functionality (inline editing and tab completion), and a maplist command.
- Ability to delete saved games from within the game.
- Several hexen2 utilities (hcc: the hexenc compiler, and other mapping tools) are maintained and are being kept up to date.
- Several hexenworld utilities (hwmaster: hexenworld master server, hwmquery: tool for querying hw master servers, hwrcon and hwterm: rcon tools) are maintained and are being kept up to date.
Hammer of Thyrion
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Some small fixes. Added new command line options -fields, -functions, -globaldefs, -prglobals, -statements and -strings, which dump the related information.
- Utils, all: Some fixes/improvements to command line options handling.
- Support for the rarely used progs version 7 spec with 32 bit offsets instead of 16 bit of the original version 6: The engine can run both with v6 as well as with v7 progs. The hcc and dhcc tools are changed to compile the progs as v6 whenever possible for compatibility, or as v7 otherwise. they can also be made to compile specifically v6 or v7 progs by the new command line options -v6, -v7, or -version . The dhcc tool can now decompile both v6 and v7 progs.
- Fixed a respawn-after-death issue which sometimes rendered the player unable to move backwards, or unable to use certain inventory items, or several other weird effects (bug #2176023.) The bug was there since the original hexen2 source release.