Unlike many office suites, Docear integrates several applications for researchers, i.e. academic search engine*, file manager, PDF reader*, mind mapping and note taking tool, reference manager, paper drafting, and word processor*.
Most of these components are exchangeable which means, if you don’t like Docear’s reference manager, you can easily use another one instead.
Docear provides the user with two unique features. First, Docear let’s you import PDF annotations (bookmarks, comments and highlighted text). This way, a document’s most important information can be easily organized.
If more information is required than the bookmark or comment itself provides, Docear can open the PDF on the page the bookmarks points to.
The other unique aspect is that all information is structured in a mind map. Information management in a mind map is much more effective and efficient than using a simple list or social tags.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Docear utility on your Mac are available HERE.
Docear is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X and Windows. Binaries for the Windows platform are available on the project's homepage.
Note: * Not yet implemented, or in combination with third party applications.
- Integration of all major components required for literature search, organization, and creation into a single application:
- Reference manager
- Information manager (Mind mapper)
- Import and managing of PDF annotations:
- PDF bookmarks
- PDF comments
- Highlighted text (with limitations)
- Structured information management in a mind map instead of simple tables or social tags
- Using standard formats wherever possible (FreeMind/Freeplane XML, BibTeX, Adobe PDF)
- Usable instead or as a complement to your existing reference manager (JabRef, Zotero, Mendeley, …)
- Full control over your data: No registration required and no data is stored on our servers except you allow it explictely
- Free and open source
- PDF Metadata extraction
- Optional storing of Metadata directly in PDF files (XMP Metadata)
- Monitoring for new files
- Full reference management capabilities due to complete integration of JabRef
- Full mind mapping capabilities since Docear is developed as add-on for the mind mapping tool Freeplane
- Platform independent (runs on Windows, Linux and MacOS)
- Online backup space
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
- New features include:
- New PDF metadata extraction based on Google Scholar
- Enhancements include: