iText is an ideal library for developers looking to enhance web- and other applications with dynamic PDF document generation and/or manipulation. iText is not an end-user tool.
Typically you won't use it on your desktop as you would use Acrobat or any other PDF application. Rather, you will build iText into the applications that you are developing so that you can easily automate the PDF creation and manipulation process.
For instance in one or more of the following situations:
· Due to time or size, the PDF documents can't be produced manually.
· The content of the document must be calculated or based on user input.
· The content needs to be customized or personalized.
· The PDF content needs to be served in a web environment.
· Documents are to be created in "batch process" mode.
You can use iText to:
· Serve PDF to a browser
· Generate dynamic documents from XML files or databases
· Use PDF's many interactive features
· Add bookmarks, page numbers, watermarks, etc.
· Split, concatenate, and manipulate PDF pages
· Automate filling out of PDF forms
· Add digital signatures to a PDF file
NOTE: iText is dual-licensed and distributed under the terms of the MPL and LGPL.
· Adobe Acrobat Reader
· Java 1.4 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· maintenance release that fixes a series of bugs and that allows us to release the new version of XML Worker that depends on iText.