Pandoc is a Haskell library for converting from one markup format to another, and a command-line tool that uses this library.
Pandoc can read markdown and (subsets of) reStructuredText, HTML, and LaTeX, and it can write markdown, reStructuredText, DocBook XML, groff man, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, RTF, and S5 HTML slide shows.
Here are some key features of "Pandoc":
· Modular design, using separate writers and readers for each supported format.
· A real markdown parser, not based on regex substitutions. More accurate and much faster than Markdown.pl.
· Also parses (subsets of) reStructuredText, LaTeX, and HTML.
· Multiple output formats: HTML, Docbook XML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, reStructuredText, Markdown, RTF, groff man pages, S5 slide shows.
· Unicode support.
· Optional "smart" quotes, dashes, and ellipses.
· Automatically generated tables of contents.
· Support for displaying math in HTML.
Extensions to markdown syntax:
· Document metadata (title, author, date).
· Footnotes, tables, and definition lists.
· Superscripts, subscripts, and strikeout.
· Inline LaTeX math and LaTeX commands.
· Markdown inside HTML blocks.
· Enhanced ordered lists: start number and numbering style are significant.
· Compatibility mode to turn off syntax entensions and emulate Markdown.pl.
Convenient wrapper scripts:
· html2markdown makes it easy to produce a markdown version of any web page.
· markdown2pdf converts markdown to PDF in one step.
· hsmarkdown is a drop-in replacement for Markdown.pl.
· Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· HTML writer: Fixed numbering mismatch between TOC and sections. --number-offset now affects TOC numbering as well as section numbering, as it should have all along. Closes #789.
· Markdown writer: Reverted 1.11 change that caused citations to be rendered as markdown citations, even if --bibliography was specified, unless citation extension is disabled. Now, formatted citations are always printed if --bibliography was specified. If you want to reformat markdown keeping pandoc markdown citations intact, don’t use --bibliography. Note that citations parsed from LaTeX documents will be rendered as pandoc markdown citations when --bibliography is not specified.
· ODT writer: Fixed regression leading to corrupt ODTs. This was due to a change in the Show instance for Text.Pandoc.Pretty.Doc. Closes #780.
· Fixed spacing bugs involving code block attributes in RST reader and Markdown writer. Closes #763.
· Bumped QuickCheck version bound.
· Fixed regression in which parentheses were l...