JODConverter, the Java OpenDocument Converter, is an open source Java based library that will help you to convert documents between different office formats.
JODConverter leverages OpenOffice.org, which provides arguably the best import/export filters for OpenDocument and Microsoft Office formats available today.
JODConverter can be used in many different ways
· As a Java library, embedded in your own Java application
· As a command line tool, possibly invoked from your own scripts
· As a simple web application: upload your input document, select the desired format and download the converted version
· As a web service, invoked from your own application written in your favourite language (.NET, PHP, Python, Ruby, ...)
Usage: Before you can perform any conversions you need to start OpenOffice.org in listening mode on port 8100 as described in the JODConverter Guide. As a quick start you can type from a command line: soffice -headless -accept="socket,port=8100;urp;"
Here are some key features of "JODConverter":
Microsoft Office to OpenDocument, and viceversa:
· Word to OpenDocument Text (odt); OpenDocument Text (odt) to Word
· Excel to OpenDocument Spreadsheet (ods); OpenDocument Spreadsheet (ods) to Excel
· PowerPoint to OpenDocument Presentation (odp); OpenDocument Presentation (odp) to PowerPoint
Any format to PDF:
· OpenDocument (Text, Spreadsheet, Presentation) to PDF
· Word to PDF; Excel to PDF; PowerPoint to PDF
· RTF to PDF; WordPerfect to PDF; ...
· OpenDocument Presentation (odp) to Flash; PowerPoint to Flash
· RTF to OpenDocument; WordPerfect to OpenDocument
· Any format to HTML (with limitations)
· Support for OpenOffice.org 1.0 and old StarOffice formats
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· added docx, xlsx, and pptx (supported by OOo since v3.0) to default formats
· updated plain text format to use UTF8,CRLF as default options
· added switch to pass a custom xml document format registry file to the command line tool