Beets is a free and open-source Python-based library for media library management.
The purpose of Beets is to get your music collection right once and for all. It catalogs your collection, automatically improving its metadata as it goes using the MusicBrainz database. It then provides a bouquet of tools for manipulating and accessing your music.
Because Beets is designed as a library, it can do almost anything you can imagine for your music collection. Via plugins, beets becomes a panacea.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Beets utility on your Mac are available HERE.
Beets is a cross-platform utility capable of running on any operating system that comes with Python support (e.g. Mac OS X, Windows, Linux).
Here are some key features of "Beets":
· Embed and extract album art from files' metadata.
· Listen to your library with a music player that speaks the MPD protocol and works with a staggering variety of interfaces.
· Fetch lyrics for all your songs from databases on the Web.
· Manage your MusicBrainz music collection.
· Analyze music files' metadata from the command line.
· Clean up crufty tags left behind by other, less-awesome tools.
· Browse your music library graphically through a Web browser and play it in any browser that supports HTML5 Audio.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· EmbedArt Plugin: The embedart command now embeds each album’s associated art by default. The --file option invokes the old behavior, in which a specific image file is used.
· Lyrics Plugin: A new (optional) Google Custom Search backend was added for finding lyrics on a wide array of sites. Thanks to Fabrice Laporte.
· When automatically detecting the filesystem’s maximum filename length, never guess more than 200 characters. This prevents errors on systems where the maximum length was misreported. You can, of course, override this default with the max_filename_length option.
· FetchArt Plugin: Two new configuration options were added: cover_names, the list of keywords used to identify preferred images, and cautious, which lets you avoid falling back to images that don’t contain those keywords. Thanks to Fabrice Laporte.
· Avoid some error cases in the update command and the embedart and mbsync plugins. Invalid or missing files now cause error logs instead of crashing beets. Thanks to Lucas D...