DbWrench is an easy to use yet very functional database design and synchronization software application.
Designing a database involves the construction of database entities such as tables, columns, foreign keys and indexes. As well as laying out tables and foreign keys on diagrams.
DbWrench provides several ways to interact with a database server. These include executing SQL commands, reverse engineering a database from the server and forward engineering a database design to the server.
DbWrench can generate dynamic Graphical User Interface (GUI) forms for data entry into database tables. These forms can be an alternative to writing SQL to modify data.
For example if data was to be inserted into table, DbWrench would create a form with GUI widgets for each column in the table.
Here are some key features of "DbWrench":
· Edit database items directly in the diagram. Avoid navigating tree nodes or opening property sheets to make edits.
· Several ER notations to choose from. Including Bachman, Barker and Information Engineering.
· Multiple foreign key link algorithms. Table Direct links or FK to PK links.
· Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) support. Export diagrams that are fully scalable.
· Use the Navigator window to easily work with large diagrams.
Multiple Vendor Compatibility:
· Supports Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL and MySQL. All with a single license.
· Runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. All with a single license.
· Generate Update DDL SQL scripts with a single click. Most database design tools only generate create scripts. DbWrench generates create and update scripts.
· Execute full scripts or select just parts of the scripts to run.
· Execute scripts in the safety of transactions.
· Reverse engineer existing databases in seconds.
· Insert and update table data with automatically generated forms. These forms provide data entry validation and combo boxes for foreign key fields.
· Reverse synchronize server database changes into designs.
· Syntax highlighting editor.
· Code completion.
· Create abbreviations for common commands and entity names.
· Display query results in tables or as text.
Database Design Features:
· Use column templates to add common columns quickly and easily.
· Generate HTML documentation of database designs.
· Quickly name and enforce naming conventions with Auto Naming.
· Add a foreign key with just a few clicks.
· Java 1.4.1 or later.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· There was a memory leak in diagramming that was causing the programming to hang. This has now been improved. However, we are still trying to reduce the total memory footprint.
· Performance enhancements to the diagramming. Moving of glyphs around the diagram should now be more responsive.
· Clicking and dragging on Zone glyphs occasionally produced a runtime error. This is now fixed.
· Mouse rollover click actions for zone glyphs were not being displayed, this is now fixed.
· When the mouse exited a table glyph, sometimes the last roll over click action drawn would still remain drawn. This is now fixed.
· If a zone glyph was dragged to a negative height or width this would produce a runtime error. This is now fixed.