ManyDesigns Portofino is a free and open source solution that will offer you the most integrated set of features you can find in a framework, out of the box.
Here are some key features of "ManyDesigns Portofino":
· You can create the database schema using classes (tables), attributes (fields), relationships (both one-to-many and many-to-many) and inheritance. You work at the logical level, while Portofino takes care of mapping it to the physical level of the database.
Forms and user interface:
· Portofino automatically generates the user interface based on your model definition. CRUD forms, navigation of relationship, powerful search pages, full-text searches, breadcrumbs, and cascaded selection boxes are all available immediately.
Security and permissions:
· You can assign different roles and responsibilities to the users of the system. Portofino can be integrated in your existing single sign-on technology.
· Through workflows, you can define your business processes, procedures and life-cycles. You can use states, transitions, guards, custom actions and automatic email notifications.
Algorithms and calculations:
· Perform mathematical, logical and string calculations within the application model without writing code.
· You can define validations and integrity constraints on data entered by users. This ranges from simple validations of type, format and range to complex constraints on the relational model.
· On-line and printable reports are very easy to define. They provide an aggregate view over large amounts of data and highlight information of particular relevance.
· Building a new application or changing an existing one is very fast. Make a change to the model (upstairs level) and see the change instantly applied to the application (downstairs level). There is no compilation or transformation latency.
Changes and integrity:
· Changes never break the application. Portofino makes sure that all the parts of the system work together despite changes to any of them. This is an ideal situation for agile development. You get features and quality right from the start.
· Portofino supports all major commercial and open source database technologies.
· Single processor system with 512MB RAM and 800MB free disk space.
· JDK/JRE 1.5 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· First public open source release of ManyDesigns Portofino.