RText is an easy to use programmer editing tool that allows you to easily write and edit your code.
RText is built as a cross-platform utility and supports the following languages:
· Assembler (X86)
· UNIX shell scripts
· Properties Files
· Windows batch
RText was originally designed as a Notepad clone, but in time has grown into a fully fledged programmer editor.
Here are some key features of "RText":
· Macro support allows you to perform complex editing tasks quickly and in an automated fashion.
· Drag-and-drop files from your desktop directly into RText.
· Edit multiple documents simultaneously through a tabbed, list, or traditional MDI interface. No need to open multiple instances of the application to edit multiple documents.
· Code Templates allow you to associate short identifiers with longer phrases/code blocks you frequently type to speed up time spent banging at the keys.
· Find/Find Next/Replace/Replace Next dialogs make searching for text easy, and include such options as Match Case, Whole Word Only, Use Regular Expressions, and Mark All (screenshot).
· Find in Files dialog allows you to search for a given string or regular expression in any group of files or directories on your computer (screenshot).
· File encodings are supported. Open and edit files in any encoding supported by your JVM.
· Unlimited Undo/Redo actions ensure you will never make a mistake you can't recover from.
· Print and Print Preview functionality allow you to create hard copies of your documents with ease (screenshot).
· CTags support if you have Exhuberant CTags installed in your machine (regular UNIX ctags won't cut it). With the "Source Browser" you can see a list of functions, variables, etc. in the current source, allowing you to quickly jump to a function definition, insert a method name at the caret position, and other handy stuff.
· Auto-Reload. RText will sense if a document you have open in RText is modified by another program, and ask you whether you want to reload the document.
· Customizable user interface allow you to have your editor look the way you want it to. Change such features as the Java Look and Feel, the view style, the icon set used in menus and on the toolbar, the font, the background (choose a color or a picture from your computer), the colors used for syntax highlighting, and more.
· Help documentation similar to HTML Help found in many Microsoft Windows applications provides you with assistance if you should need it (screenshot).
· Cross-platform. Since RText is written in Java, it can be run on any platform supporting version 1.4 or greater of the Java Runtime Environment.
· Java 1.4 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Pretty-printing now works for JSON in addition to XML and HTML. The system console plugin now auto-completes file names on pressing tab.
· HTML, PHP, and JSP have new option, Automatically add closing tags for HTML tags that require them.
· The text editor now includes an option to use the system selection colors for selected text and its background.
· The file chooser and File System Tree plugin now include "Paste" option to copy/paste file lists.
· Added Visual Basic syntax highlighting.
· Various code editor fixes and performance improvements.