Eddie is a free code editor available for both Mac OS X and Gnome Linux.
Eddie was takes it inspiration from the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop, and brings some of its powerful features to create a modern lightweight and capable programmer's editor.
Eddie was especially designed for C++/Obj-C development. It uses makefiles and shell tools but can also be used with XCode projects.
Eddie also provides a Worksheet, which is a powerful shell that combines the power of bash and the ease of editing in a normal text window-like mode.
Originally, Eddie was written for BeOS, but currently it is actively developed on the Mac.
Eddie it now a modern, fully native Mac app, well integrated into the latest versions of Mac OS X. Beta of a Gnome Linux version also available.
Here are some key features of "Eddie":
· Full featured editor with an extensive set of powerful editing commands, unlimited Undo and more.
· Innovative keyboard shortcuts such as Smart Swap.
· Worksheet windows with a full bash shell support, innovative Tab-completion support
· Magic prototyper greatly simplifies C++ and Obj-C development
· Symbol lookup and completion of C/C++/Obj-C code, Ifdef balancing, Commenting ease development
· Multiple clipboards with an extended feature set for complex copy-paste jobs
· Worksets allow organizing files into project-like groups
· Git and Subversion source control integration
· Aupport for automatic makefile generation
· Search/Replace supports regular expressions, multi-file, incremental search
· Windows may be split horizontally and vertically into several panes
· Extensive plugin API gives plugins full control over the application
· Every keyboard shortcut fully configurable (includes plugin commands)
· Support for source control systems like Git, Subversion, Perforce, CVS
· Optional Emacs-like keymap support
· 64 bit processor
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added syntax coloring of functions, classes, numeric constants and HTML escaped unicode literals
· Sped up syntax coloring of large documents
· Improved Ruby syntax coloring
· Function popup support for Ruby
· Improved split panes: better active pane visibility, better click-through behavior
· Added retina display Monaco 9 nostalgia rendering mode
· Improvements in the smart swap keyboard shortcut
· Numerous bug fixes